Re: ICMP Type 3

From: Kerodo (kerodokenny_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 02/26/04

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:11:35 -0800

Lilla wrote:

> Same is happening here.
> I use Kerio 2.1.5, and earthlink dialup. WinXP.
> I let ICMP 3 Out to my ISP's DNS servers only.
> I list the ISP's DNS servers as a "Custom Address Group", ie remote address
> = "Custom Addresses".
>
> There was a long discussion about this way back when I was using 2.1.4 on
> Win98.
> The conclusion was that ultimately it doesn't really matter whether you
> Allow or Deny this activity, but they thought that it could be speedier if
> you Allowed it, because it you denied it the ISP will (or might?) request it
> again. Or, something like that.
>
> Anyway, I let it thorough.
>
> Lilla
>
> "Kerodo" <kerodokenny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 and I recently turned on logging for the Block
>>ICMP rule just to see what activity was going on there. I immediately
>>noticed that my Tcpip kernel is trying to send out Type 3 ICMP's to my
>>DNS servers. This happens even when I have no browser loaded or
>>anything else loaded.
>>
>>I'm not running a router or anything. Just a Win2k system on cable
>>modem with Kerio as a firewall.
>>
>>Is this normal? Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type
>>3's? Right now Kerio is blocking them. Should I allow them to get out?
>> And why?
>>
>>Any help is appreciated...

Thanks for your reply Lilla. I think I'm going to allow it and then log
it and see if it occurs less frequently or something. I don't think
it'll hurt to allow it.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ICMP Type 3
    ... I use Kerio 2.1.5, and earthlink dialup. ... I let ICMP 3 Out to my ISP's DNS servers only. ... Just a Win2k system on cable ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Rule help for novice
    ... I think Kerio is a great firewall package. ... With Kerio the rule order does matter as the program goes through the ... Ping is an ICMP function, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Kerio 4
    ... I have no control over which type of ICMP & NETBIOS packets are ... NAT firewall/router anyway. ... Kerio flags up a lot of "Port Scans" from external sources. ... How come these are getting thro' my hardware firewall? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: ICMP Type 3
    ... >noticed that my Tcpip kernel is trying to send out Type 3 ICMP's to my ... Just a Win2k system on cable ... Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type ... Right now Kerio is blocking them. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: ICMP Type 3
    ... Manuel wrote: ... >>I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 and I recently turned on logging for the Block ... Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type ... > So my system is not waiting anymore for the response to my DNS ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)