Re: ICMP Type 3

From: Kerodo (kerodokenny_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 02/26/04

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:07:54 -0800

Lars M. Hansen wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:22:11 -0800, Kerodo spoketh
>

>>I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 and I recently turned on logging for the Block
>>ICMP rule just to see what activity was going on there. I immediately
>>noticed that my Tcpip kernel is trying to send out Type 3 ICMP's to my
>>DNS servers. This happens even when I have no browser loaded or
>>anything else loaded.
>>
>>I'm not running a router or anything. Just a Win2k system on cable
>>modem with Kerio as a firewall.
>>
>>Is this normal? Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type
>>3's? Right now Kerio is blocking them. Should I allow them to get out?
>> And why?
>>
>>Any help is appreciated...
>

> Googling for "ICMP type 3" resulted in this very nice page:
>
> http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/icmp/msg3.htm
>

> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Thanks Lars. Yes, I did see that page when I googled for the same
thing, but it was a little too technical for me. I pretty much an idiot
when it comes to this stuff. Still just learning.. Thank you though...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ICMP Type 3
    ... >noticed that my Tcpip kernel is trying to send out Type 3 ICMP's to my ... Just a Win2k system on cable ... Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type ... Right now Kerio is blocking them. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: ICMP Type 3
    ... I use Kerio 2.1.5, and earthlink dialup. ... I let ICMP 3 Out to my ISP's DNS servers only. ... Just a Win2k system on cable ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • ICMP Type 3
    ... I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 and I recently turned on logging for the Block ... ICMP rule just to see what activity was going on there. ... Just a Win2k system on cable ... Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Kerio not working with Windows 98SE
    ... Lars M. Hansen wrote: ... >>I just had to uninstall the latest version of Kerio as it crashed my ... the support for 98 till sometime in 2006. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: ICMP Type 3
    ... Manuel wrote: ... >>I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 and I recently turned on logging for the Block ... Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type ... > So my system is not waiting anymore for the response to my DNS ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)