Re: ICMP Type 3

From: Lilla (lilla_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 02/26/04

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:43:39 GMT

Same is happening here.
I use Kerio 2.1.5, and earthlink dialup. WinXP.
I let ICMP 3 Out to my ISP's DNS servers only.
I list the ISP's DNS servers as a "Custom Address Group", ie remote address
= "Custom Addresses".

There was a long discussion about this way back when I was using 2.1.4 on
Win98.
The conclusion was that ultimately it doesn't really matter whether you
Allow or Deny this activity, but they thought that it could be speedier if
you Allowed it, because it you denied it the ISP will (or might?) request it
again. Or, something like that.

Anyway, I let it thorough.

Lilla

"Kerodo" <kerodokenny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 and I recently turned on logging for the Block
> ICMP rule just to see what activity was going on there. I immediately
> noticed that my Tcpip kernel is trying to send out Type 3 ICMP's to my
> DNS servers. This happens even when I have no browser loaded or
> anything else loaded.
>
> I'm not running a router or anything. Just a Win2k system on cable
> modem with Kerio as a firewall.
>
> Is this normal? Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type
> 3's? Right now Kerio is blocking them. Should I allow them to get out?
> And why?
>
> Any help is appreciated...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ICMP Type 3
    ... >noticed that my Tcpip kernel is trying to send out Type 3 ICMP's to my ... Just a Win2k system on cable ... Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type ... Right now Kerio is blocking them. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: ICMP Type 3
    ... Lilla wrote: ... > I let ICMP 3 Out to my ISP's DNS servers only. ... >>I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 and I recently turned on logging for the Block ... >>ICMP rule just to see what activity was going on there. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: ICMP Type 3
    ... Manuel wrote: ... >>I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 and I recently turned on logging for the Block ... Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type ... > So my system is not waiting anymore for the response to my DNS ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: ICMP Type 3
    ... Lars M. Hansen wrote: ... >>I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 and I recently turned on logging for the Block ... Just a Win2k system on cable ... Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • ICMP Type 3
    ... I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 and I recently turned on logging for the Block ... ICMP rule just to see what activity was going on there. ... Just a Win2k system on cable ... Why is the system pinging the DNS Servers with Type ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)