Help for novice with ICF, Router h/w Firewall and McAfee s/w Firewall

From: Mike (mjss_ivell_at_msn.com)
Date: 02/23/04

Date: 23 Feb 2004 14:53:27 -0800

I have XP and a DSL connection for internet. Up until recently I have
used the standard free issue Alcatel Speedtouch DSL modem via USB for
a dial up connection with ICF active for protection. However, I'm now
using a an Ericsson ADSL Router (HN294d) set up for PPPoA (connected
via an Ethernet card) so that additional PC's in the house can be
connected to the internet via my broadband service.

If not obvious already I am a pretty dumb user so apologies now for
stupid questions but ....

1. What is simple terms is the difference in protection between ICF,
the hardware firewall of a Router and the software firewall of
something like McAfee's Firewall 3 package.
2. Is my Internet connection (via the Ericsson Router) still
protected by ICF - it doesn't show in my Connection Settings as a
Dialup Connection but rather as an Internet Gateway.
3. Does the Router offer better protection than ICF anyway. (I have
activitated the default "medium" level of protection and activated
Intrusion Detection again with default settings). Any guidelines on
why non default settings may be desirable,
4. I also have a copy of McAfee Firewall 3 but have not loaded this.
Is there any point in loading this given the use of ICF and the
Ericsson Router. What if any additional protection can this provide.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
    ... First Page of the Internet Connection Wizard, ... Next I Select a local router device with an ip address. ... You should give your SBS a fixed external address so you can forward ports ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Slow Internet Connection Sharing
    ... Router between the Modem and Computer. ... Internet Connection Sharing. ... can you log into Hotmail and Messenger? ...
  • T1 ...,
    ... t1 internet connection ... price of t1 ...
    (rec.org.sca)
  • Re: Router install problem
    ... that's the Internet (the Wide Area ... LAN side of the router is ... "Internet Connection Wizard" are relevant to the way I was trying to ... and 5 buttons on the left (Wizard, Wireless, WAN, LAN, DHCP). ...
  • Re: Unable to obtain a server- assigned IP address Try again later or enter an IP address in Net
    ... I can go to Control Panel - Network and Internet Connections - ... If yours is not a subset of your router, ... I have a LINKSYS router (4 port connection) - I have my cable modem ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)