Re: do i need a hardware firewall?

From: ObiWan (anzenNO-SPAM_at_gmx.net)
Date: 02/23/04

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:43:39 +0100

> I run xp pro with NIS 2003. Do i need a router with built in HW
> firewall,if so i'd prefer linksys but which ones have this facility?

Well, there are many (more below), but if you didn't open ports
in ICF (other than the default) and if you use your brain before
using your mouse you should be safe enough :-D

> I'm just a bit cautious at the moment as i seem to have been
> attacked!!

Well ... attacks are no news for anyone being on the 'net, at any rate
if you want to pick an h/w (SoHo) firewall I'd suggest you having a
look at the SMC product line instead of going straight to LinkSys, I'm
sayin this because A) CISCO admitted that _all_ its products contain
some code which may allow "external support personnel" to access
the device and change settings/what-else B) LinkSys is now property
of CISCO (and has been for some time now) ... so, I'd look at another
company for my firewall (and I personally switched to SMC and found
myself comfortable enough) ... btw this is just a suggestion ... :-)

--
* ObiWan
DNS "fail-safe" for Windows 2000 and 9X clients.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OE Outbox fails after SP2 wireless cable
    ... And, in short order, 'windows update' downloaded and installed SP2. ... with the Linksys gateway, and I also checked a box on a list somewhere to ... I'm only using the Linksys hardware firewall, ... the existing installation? ...
  • Re: Linksys router as Firewall
    ... >> The BEFSR41 router does that. ... >The Linksys does not isolate internal from external, ... >(unless you do MAC filtering or port filtering). ... >> Virus scanning and spam filtering is not a function of a firewall. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Zyxel router for Inspiron 1505?
    ... supercede the default firewall settings. ... names and include technical support (the others ... Someone suggested a Zyxel Extreme-MIMO X550 router. ... Linksys or D-Link. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Kluge oder doofe Idee: Zweistufige Firewall mit VPN
    ... Also kommt der Linksys in 'ne DMZ und die Firewall kümmert sich ums DSL, nur mal für den Moment angenommen. ... vom Rest getrennt behandeln und Filtern, und verhindern, dass Pakete ... IP Adresse. ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)
  • Re: uplink newbie question
    ... And those that do, do not firewall ... If your laptop, connected to the Linksys, needs to access the ... >> LAN on the Netgear, it's creating outgoing traffic thru the Linksys, which is ...