Re: do i need a hardware firewall?

From: Leythos (void_at_nowhere.com)
Date: 02/23/04

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 03:50:05 GMT

In article <nPmdnZ66T_Rx7aTdRVn2vw@comcast.com>, charlesnewman1
@comcast.net.do.not.spam.me says...

> No, you dont. Every version of WIndows in 98SE has Internet
> Connection Sharing (ICS) built in. Just get some firewall software,
> such as Kerio or Tiny, and a Network switch, and that is all
> you need. ICS makes hardware firewalls obsolete.
>

> "tarquinlinbin" <fleagle@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > I run xp pro with NIS 2003. Do i need a router with built in HW
> > firewall,if so i'd prefer linksys but which ones have this facility?
> >
> > I'm just a bit cautious at the moment as i seem to have been
> > attacked!!

Need and should have are very different things. With the vast number of
hacks for every OS out there, a router with NAT should be everyone's
first line of defense (or something better).

The NAT will protect the XP box and it should be installed to help
prevent anything that Win missed and to prevent hacks due to user-
configured holes.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IP address assignment for VPN computers
    ... To connect a windows 2000/2003 network to the Internet, you may use one of two methods: ICS and NAT. ... ICS is designed to provide a single step of configuration on the computer running Windows 2000/2003 to provide a translated connection to Internet for all of the hosts on the network. ...
  • Re: NAT + Port Forward on Windows XP
    ... ICS and forwarded some ports and it worked too. ... after I enabled ICS, NAT doesn't work anymore. ... How many network adapters does the Windows XP box have? ...
  • Re: Getting Windows XP To Act as NAT Server
    ... ICS is a Windows XP NAT ROUTER solution - not NAT server. ...
  • Re: NAT connection
    ... i meant ICS service for NAT. ... ICS is enabled in the NIC properties, ... Daniel, just to clear it up, ICS and NAT are TWO SEPARATE services. ... So let's not enable ICS. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: NAT + Port Forward on Windows XP
    ... ICS and forwarded some ports and it worked too. ... after I enabled ICS, NAT doesn't work anymore. ... How many network adapters does the Windows XP box have? ... The IPEnableRouter registry key enables IP forwarding in Windows ...