Re: newbe wants to set up high secue network =)

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews_at_hansenonline.net)
Date: 02/22/04

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:47:52 GMT

On 22 Feb 2004 11:36:36 -0800, Lorenz Blum spoketh

>Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
>> Port only have two states: "Open" or "Closed". If you're getting
>> "Closed", then you're doing good. If some ports shows as "Open", then
>> you'll need to figure out why ...
>>
>Sou you want to tell me that closed is good. good =).
>But there are some real "blocked" Ports during the scan: telnet23 and
>ftp21. If you tell me now that this is only coincidence and not
>possible or nothing to care about I'll go and sleep. But what or why
>are those two blocked and the others not....????
>
>greetz
>lori

The "blocked" ports are probably indicating that the scanner does not
receive the expected "sorry, we're closed" response when attempting to
connect to these ports. Often, this is referred to as "stealth", and
it's really nothing to care about. It has no effect on the security of
your computer at all.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

  • Re: IP address spoofing
    ... >>requesting that certain address ranges be blacklisted into Australia. ... wrong to tell him to get a grip when a little healthy paranoia might be ... way by default to save time that would be wasted checking ports on ... Those who pose the real threats today don't care what state you claim to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [HEADS UP]: OpenLDAP+nss_ldap+nss_modules separated patch and more (SoC)
    ... base system version of the lib in ports, and to use the lib from ports ... Default openldap build produces unversioned libraries. ... If you care, you just get disappointed all the time. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: why does bush care so much about the UAE deal?
    ... Why does he care so damn much he'll use a Veto.. ... Someone's secret Swiss Bank Account is going to get ... over six of our major ports... ...
    (alt.politics.bush)
  • Re: Package managment
    ... > Jan Sebosik ... With care, in many situations, you should be able to get away with it. ... Problems occur with ports that contain kernel modules (ltmdm, ... and a gnome upgrade) which will make partial rebuilding ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: BIND in the base
    ... After some discussion we agreed having it in ports would make it easier for tom to maintain. ... >> The functionality of 'host' that I care about is: ... The functionality of 'host' that I care about ... for me for debugging DNS issues. ...
    (freebsd-arch)