Re: newbe wants to set up high secue network =)

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews_at_hansenonline.net)
Date: 02/22/04

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:47:52 GMT

On 22 Feb 2004 11:36:36 -0800, Lorenz Blum spoketh

>Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
>> Port only have two states: "Open" or "Closed". If you're getting
>> "Closed", then you're doing good. If some ports shows as "Open", then
>> you'll need to figure out why ...
>>
>Sou you want to tell me that closed is good. good =).
>But there are some real "blocked" Ports during the scan: telnet23 and
>ftp21. If you tell me now that this is only coincidence and not
>possible or nothing to care about I'll go and sleep. But what or why
>are those two blocked and the others not....????
>
>greetz
>lori

The "blocked" ports are probably indicating that the scanner does not
receive the expected "sorry, we're closed" response when attempting to
connect to these ports. Often, this is referred to as "stealth", and
it's really nothing to care about. It has no effect on the security of
your computer at all.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net