Re: A Wonder it Works at all

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 02/22/04

    Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:45:11 GMT

    Geoff Lane <gl1public@btinternet.com> wrote in
    news:k3vg30lvpvo3ut5kbjegcf06dl73blih01@4ax.com:

    > Reading the thread Wireless and Firewall under comp.security.firewalls
    > recently I wonder how on Earth WiFi works at all.
    >
    > There was reference in this thread to MTU and on my AP set up page
    > there is RTS threshold, beacon interval, fragmentation length,
    > preamble and DTIM interval, I assume they are all important and wonder
    > how on Earth they all work togethher.

    Because that only pertains to the wireless connection only and what is
    happening between the transmitter and receiver.

    > Whilst typing has the AP's fragmentaion length setting any connection
    > with the MTU setting for each individual Network Card?

    No, because wired routers have that sitting as well and is based on the
    connection type to the ISP. However, you can go to the O/S and set the MTU,
    which I think Winpoet does for the O/S that is on a machine that's making a
    direct connection to a PPPoP.

    Duane :)

    • Re: Windows Update
      ... I changed the MTU size to 1470 in the regsitry as this worked, ... ping command now works with a MTU of 1440. ... Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable ... size of a PPPoE connection to a value of between 1,400 and 1,480 ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: browser hangs in downloads
      ... can't seem to download the java.com recommended to ... First it is a big mistake to connect directly to a modem even if you have ... The MTU on Cable Internet should be 1500. ... connection) with the program "DrTCP" available at: ...
    • Re: freebsd-net Digest, Vol 181, Issue 9
      ... FreeBSD 6.1 + ath0 + NAT ... connection to the Internet, and a Netgear WG311T wireless Ethernet card ... ath0: flags=8843 mtu 1500 ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: Page cannot be displayed
      ... Temporary Internet Files ... If you use the PPPoE protocol (or some other Internet link protocol that ... router or ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), you may have to reduce the MTU ...
    • Re: POP3 Connector Issue
      ... or in other cases you can modify the MTU on the server. ... server name with the ones that you receive the events connecting to. ... If more than one network connection is listed, for each connection, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)