Re: A Wonder it Works at all

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 02/22/04

    Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:45:11 GMT

    Geoff Lane <gl1public@btinternet.com> wrote in
    news:k3vg30lvpvo3ut5kbjegcf06dl73blih01@4ax.com:

    > Reading the thread Wireless and Firewall under comp.security.firewalls
    > recently I wonder how on Earth WiFi works at all.
    >
    > There was reference in this thread to MTU and on my AP set up page
    > there is RTS threshold, beacon interval, fragmentation length,
    > preamble and DTIM interval, I assume they are all important and wonder
    > how on Earth they all work togethher.

    Because that only pertains to the wireless connection only and what is
    happening between the transmitter and receiver.

    > Whilst typing has the AP's fragmentaion length setting any connection
    > with the MTU setting for each individual Network Card?

    No, because wired routers have that sitting as well and is based on the
    connection type to the ISP. However, you can go to the O/S and set the MTU,
    which I think Winpoet does for the O/S that is on a machine that's making a
    direct connection to a PPPoP.

    Duane :)