Re: Wired Network / Wireless Network / Internet - 1 attachment

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 02/17/04

    Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 03:43:49 GMT

    danr_18@yahoo.com (Daniel Rosenzweig) wrote in
    news:7d7dc078.0402161756.5246093f@posting.google.com:

    > Is there any way to isolate the wired and wireless networks,
    > so that they both access the Internet, but can't access each other?
    >
    > A Netgear MR814 Wireless Router (w/4 wired ports) is being used - but
    > there is also a D-Link DI-704P Wired router and a plan hub available
    > if needed to do this properly.
    >
    > I think someone mentioned (on the newsgroup) to wire the two routers
    > together - and that would cause some issues with some services (due to
    > two DHCP servers being used)...
    >
    > Any suggested security resources? I've turned on WEP 128, turned off
    > SSID, changed the password, change the IP of the router and valid IP
    > addresses.
    > Give access only to MAC of the specific card.... and as of now, I turn
    > off the wireless portion whenever my PCs are on... (those have
    > firewall software) I would've bought the latest and greatest... but I
    > don't believe even the security there is good enough yet...
    >
    > Thanks

    You can most likely do something that is in the link.

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp

    You could use static IP(s) on one of the routers

    You may be able to use two different subnet masks to isolate the two
    networks.

    You can use VPN to secure the LAN between the routers, because I don't
    think you would be accomplishing anything by doing isolation of networks
    in a home situation, IMHO.

    Duane :)

    begin 644 Shortcut to Xnews.lnk
    M3`````$4`@``````P````````$:;````(`@```!KH8I>[,$!34AN*N.FPP$`
    M:Z&*7NS!`0`J$P```````0```````````````````*<`%``?4.!/T"#J.FD0
    MHM@(`"LP,)T9`"]#.EP`````````````````````````-@`Q``````!I+RR(
    M$`AX;F5W<P`B``,`!`#OOFDO+(AI+RR(%````'@`;@!E`'<`<P```!0`0@`R
    M```J$P"9+-ML(`A8;F5W<RYE>&4`*@`#``0`[[Z9+-ML:2\LB!0```!8`&X`
    M90!W`',`+@!E`'@`90```!@```!!````'`````$````<````+0````````!`
    M````$0````,```#\/0+D$`````!#.EQX;F5W<UQ8;F5W<RYE>&4``!@`+@`N
    M`%P`+@`N`%P`+@`N`%P`>`!N`&4`=P!S`%P`6`!N`&4`=P!S`"X`90!X`&4`
    M"`!#`#H`7`!X`&X`90!W`',`8`````,``*!8`````````&1U86YE;&%P=&]P
    M``````"L``22;H$/2[>DJ^^8;]8>#G[8?=02V!&C+0`&):D=YJP`!))N@0]+
    <MZ2K[YAOUAX.?MA]U!+8$:,M``8EJ1WF`````(P!
    `
    end

    • Re: Wired Network / Wireless Network / Internet - 1 attachment
      ... > Any suggested security resources? ... You could use static IPon one of the routers ... You may be able to use two different subnet masks to isolate the two ... think you would be accomplishing anything by doing isolation of networks ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: [SLE] Is a VPN the right thing to use here?
      ... > Due to current circumstances, I have two separate networks, L and R, on ... For this a VPN is the best solution, IMO, and some might go so far as to ... including the two routers, as if they were working under "normal" ... The temporary router has two functions. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Can nanotech make routers obsolete?
      ... >Switches and routers will eventually become obsolete because of bottleneck ... A router is a device that stands between two networks and translates ... between their local addressing schemes. ... *electronic* routers, not *routers* per se. ...
      (sci.nanotech)
    • Re: I want to link 2 lans at home
      ... > have to change the least significant bit of the sub net mask. ... So that for the original poster to add the two networks ... Anyway, if the two linksys' were just routers, just changing the subnet ... puttin everything on a /22 subnet as discussed previously in the thread. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)