Re: Norton Internet Security - Firewall help needed

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews_at_hansenonline.net)
Date: 02/16/04

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:59:53 GMT

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:26:39 -0800, Markus Kraus spoketh

>On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:41:04 GMT, Lars M. Hansen wrote:
>
>>If that's the case, then disable the "Intrusion Detection" part, and
>>that should take care of it...
>
>Yes, that's true.
>But then, why using NIS at all? What's left?

The intrusion detection part seems to have a very limited number of
signatures, and if that's cause a problem, it can be disabled (even
temporarily). The firewall part of the it will still work, and will
still do the port blocking and application control.

I don't use NIS, I've only played around with it (actually NPF) to get
some familiarity with the product. It doesn't seem to tax my (poor
333MHz) laptop significantly either.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

  • Re: Norton Internet Security - Firewall help needed
    ... On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:41:04 GMT, Lars M. Hansen wrote: ... >that should take care of it... ... why using NIS at all? ... disable parts in order to stay out of trouble, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: NIS? In this day and age?
    ... HA cluster making heavy use of NIS. ... or would anyone care to talk me out of it? ... of maps that you wish to administer,NIS is still relevant and ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • How to upgrade a NIS+ server from Solaris8 to Solaris 9
    ... Does anyone know the method in which to upgrade the OS of a NIS+ server? ... Will the upgrade take care of it automatically, or will I have to set up ...
    (SunManagers)
  • RE: Norton Intrusion Detection
    ... When NIS asked if I wanted to use windows user accounts I said yes and didn't ... unchecked 'Symantec Intrusion Detection Signatures' each time until all other ... > Still doesn't work here - no new updates found and the LU options in NIS ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Norton Internet Security 2003 problem
    ... If you're talking about the option in automatic liveupdate to monitor ... for new updates to intrusion detection I have exactly the same problem ... with NIS 2004. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)