Re: Norton Internet Security - Firewall help needed

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews_at_hansenonline.net)
Date: 02/16/04

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:59:53 GMT

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:26:39 -0800, Markus Kraus spoketh

>On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:41:04 GMT, Lars M. Hansen wrote:
>
>>If that's the case, then disable the "Intrusion Detection" part, and
>>that should take care of it...
>
>Yes, that's true.
>But then, why using NIS at all? What's left?

The intrusion detection part seems to have a very limited number of
signatures, and if that's cause a problem, it can be disabled (even
temporarily). The firewall part of the it will still work, and will
still do the port blocking and application control.

I don't use NIS, I've only played around with it (actually NPF) to get
some familiarity with the product. It doesn't seem to tax my (poor
333MHz) laptop significantly either.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net