Re: Norton Internet Security - Firewall help needed

From: Markus Kraus (mkr_at_gmxpro.de)
Date: 02/16/04

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:26:39 -0800

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:41:04 GMT, Lars M. Hansen wrote:

>If that's the case, then disable the "Intrusion Detection" part, and
>that should take care of it...

Yes, that's true.
But then, why using NIS at all? What's left? I can use IPSEC to block
ports. There are better, even free, Virus scanners available that are
not resource hogs like NIS. And the application control is not really
working anyway. I made only bad experience with NIS, so I have that
strong opinion against it. I don't use a software where I need to
disable parts in order to stay out of trouble, and where other parts
don't do their job at all.
Other people might have better experiences with NIS, and that totally
OK. If it's doing its job for them, fine.:-) It certainly didn't work
for me, period. It was causing more troubles than any virus/worm could
cause.

Best regards,
Markus