Re: Norton Internet Security - Firewall help needed

From: Markus Kraus (mkr_at_gmxpro.de)
Date: 02/16/04

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:26:39 -0800

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:41:04 GMT, Lars M. Hansen wrote:

>If that's the case, then disable the "Intrusion Detection" part, and
>that should take care of it...

Yes, that's true.
But then, why using NIS at all? What's left? I can use IPSEC to block
ports. There are better, even free, Virus scanners available that are
not resource hogs like NIS. And the application control is not really
working anyway. I made only bad experience with NIS, so I have that
strong opinion against it. I don't use a software where I need to
disable parts in order to stay out of trouble, and where other parts
don't do their job at all.
Other people might have better experiences with NIS, and that totally
OK. If it's doing its job for them, fine.:-) It certainly didn't work
for me, period. It was causing more troubles than any virus/worm could
cause.

Best regards,
Markus

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IIS, ASP.Net Development and Norton Internet Security 2005
    ... I have the same trouble. ... I found that when I set Norton Internet Security (NIS) to start ... MANUALLY and then restart the system, I'm able to open web projects ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general)
  • NIS 2003 spam alert
    ... I'm having trouble with NIS 2003 spam alert. ... my deleted items box from OE 6. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Error 0x800C0005
    ... When I look after updates I get the msg error 0x800C0005 ... I actually have a lot of trouble with NIS from symantec... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • NIS AIX 5.2 Problem
    ... I have trouble with NIS on AIX 5.2 ... Command makedbm in /var/ypMakefile very long executed (more or less two ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: The best firewall is?
    ... >> much resources during surfing the internet. ... > The best firewall is the one you are most familiar with. ... > It should be noted that NIS is more than just a firewall. ... > Lars M. Hansen ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)