Re: Using Old OS for Security

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 02/15/04

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:45:30 GMT

tallshrimply@yahoo.com (M.G.) wrote in
news:7f2ab6bc.0402150944.3bdd53df@posting.google.com:

> Hi there,
> I am a web designer and due to client needs, must use Windows OSs.
> BUT! I am not satisfied with the security issues surrounding Microsoft
> Products, and I hate their "patch" system.
>
> Would it be safer to use Win98 instead of a newer Windows OS?
>
> I ask because all of the tools I use (PWS, Dreamweaver, Flash,
> Photoshop, etc.) work with Windows 98. I figure the new
> viruses/worms/whatever are targetting the newer versions of Windows,
> especially XP. Also, an older OS has already been through the bug-fix
> stage; I am not comofortable being a guinea pig for new products.
>
> So, would I be better off using a flavor of Win98? If so, which one?
> And with what upgrades? What version of IE?
>
> Thanks,
> M.G.

I am a MS program developer using SQL Server, IIS, Visual Studio.net,
etc, ect, on Win 2K and XP Pro. Get a cheap NAT router and get behind it.

You should forget about doing anything with a Win 9'x or the ME O/S,
because they are outdated technology.

You can get a router for $20 to $30 on sale.

You can go to the O/S and configure it *hardening* it to attack by
shutting down unneeded services/ports and or other things.

Use a third party FW and/or IPsec to supplement the inbound or outbound
protection of the machine behind the router.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php
http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

You may want to use Active Ports and Process Explorer on a routine basis
and look around for yourself.

Use your common sense like keeping the O/S updated with critical patches
and other things where common sense comes into play.

use the Host

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://accs-net.com/hosts/HostsToggle/

Secure IE and OE it is out there on Google.

SP2 for XP will be released soon, which has focus on XP's FW and IE and
security. You can check it out use Google

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ IP ADDRESS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... block my ip address vista windows ... change public ip address linksys router ... setting up a network ip address ... warcraft server ip address ...
    (sci.misc)
  • >>>> LOG INTO <<<<
    ... Ip Refreshed Cannot Log Into Myspace ... Cannot Log Into Windows Nt ... How To Log Into Linksys Router ... Cant Log Into Yahoo Games Site ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Re: Using Old OS for Security
    ... > I am a web designer and due to client needs, must use Windows OSs. ... You should forget about doing anything with a Win 9'x or the ME O/S, ... You can get a router for $20 to $30 on sale. ... Secure IE and OE it is out there on Google. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: BIG PROBLEM - with firewalls sudden reboot
    ... I notice that if I disabled my software firewall Norton 2002 ... with them losing their net connection and restarting windows.. ... A google shows that the router you mentioned is a USB or Ethernet ... do a win xp reinstall or a win xp repair. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] ipsec communications with windows server
    ... Are you sure that the router quits sending messages, or is the windows ... I would make sure it is the router and not the windows box. ... time the router seems not to be sending logs to the syslog server on ... in other words i keep recieving logs from the router to the syslog ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)