Re: What would you tell someone new to computers in relation to how to securing it

From: Tim S. Knight (spu_kcab_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 02/14/04

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:46:39 -0000

NeoSadist <neosad1st@charter.net> wrote in
news:102q3ltrij2tc23@corp.supernews.com:

>> And, in case you didn't know it, a Router does not have to provide
>> NAT as you seem to understand it.
>
> NAT is network address translation. It's not even a firewall IMO,
> although it is considered one. All it does is translate and route
> information from the outside to the LAN, all the while hiding the
> private IP's it's routing to. NAT MUST take place for traffic to work
> properly behind it, or else a router without NAT might as well be
> called a switch or a hub.

No, it doesn't. There are thousands of routers out there that do nothing
but take an incoming packet, decrement the TTL, do a routing table lookup
and send it out the outgoing interface.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: router help needed ....urgent
    ... now what i need is that all my traffic for internet ... >> routing or PBR on cisco, ... If both links are to the same ISP router then you can use BGP ... Why not just put the 2 internet feeds into a hub/switch and connect the router by 1 ethernet port and use IP routing and NAT to determine the best route to use. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: Hiding NATs with PF
    ... > router causes upstream routing headaches. ... > penalty is occured by the NAT device itself, as ti does the source port ... it's not uncommon for internal routing infrastructure to be ... > hidden by a NAT that could not be hidden by a single host with firewall ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • NAT on a 1750 with 12.3(26)
    ... is open on the translation or not) the mapping stops working. ... if I issue a "no ip nat ins..." ... causes duplicate entries in the running config and the "sh ip nat ... the 1750 router... ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: Static Translations Disappearing
    ... this router and see if they have the same behavior. ... you are running into a NAT bug. ... It wouldn't hurt to change IOS and ... ....where it just shows all translations being dynamic (0 static, ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: moved a working network, now it doesnt work
    ... router I can ping the internet with no problem. ... From one of your Linux machines can you ping the FA 0/1 interface (default ... are NOT natting so if CAN ping from the router, ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)