Re: wireless and firewalls

From: Bill Crocker (wcrocker007_at_comcast.net)
Date: 02/13/04

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:26:34 -0500

Possibly your schools network was having problems reaching the outside
world, at the time?

Bill Crocker

"Lisa" <noreply@noreply.com> wrote in message
> I recently had an annoying and perplexing experience with connecting to
> my school's wireless network. I've asked in a few other places whether
> it sounded familiar to anyone, but so far I haven't received any helpful
> replies, so I thought I'd try here.
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite (WinXP Home) and recently bought an SMC2635W
> wireless PC card. I got connected to my school's wireless very easily,
> but had one problem. I couldn't send mail or check Yahoo! mail. I
> couldn't send mail using either a client (Thunderbird 0.5) or through
> webmail (Firefox 0.8 or IE6). I finally figured out that I could solve
> all of these problems by turning off Kerio 2.1.5. Turning on the built
> in XP firewall did not cause the problems to return, so it's doesn't
> seem to be a general firewall issue, but something specific (to Kerio,
> to Kerio2, or to stand alone firewalls, I'm not sure. I have not tried
> any other firewalls yet because of the annoyance and inconvenience
> factor). What's odd is that this computer works perfectly (with Kerio
> on) if I'm on a wire. It's only on wireless that the problem manifests
> itself.
>
> Well, after I turned Kerio on/off/on/off/on/off (etc etc), somehow my
> ability to send and to check Yahoo! mail miraculously returned. No
> changes to my firewall rules were made (well, actually, I did make some
> changes in an attempt to figure out the problem, but ultimately restored
> my rules back to their original state).
>
> Does this make sense to anyone?
>

> On a possibly related note, after I did all of this and finally thought
> I got everything working, I tried to subscribe to some newsgroups using
> TB0.5. I was able to subscribe, but was unable to download message
> headers. This problem persisted even after I turned off Kerio, so I'm
> not sure what to make of this problem.

Relevant Pages

  • wireless and firewalls
    ... I recently had an annoying and perplexing experience with connecting to ... my school's wireless network. ... all of these problems by turning off Kerio 2.1.5. ... seem to be a general firewall issue, but something specific (to Kerio, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Media Center Extender help and hell!
    ... -Linksys wireless router WRT55AG w/ 802.11a/g ... also a laptop connected wirelessly but I am connecting that via 802.11g and ... Viruscan has a built in firewall in the program but I can't find where to get ... Then the final person tried to convince me that Media Extender was ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: wireless and firewalls
    ... > my school's wireless network. ... > all of these problems by turning off Kerio 2.1.5. ... > seem to be a general firewall issue, but something specific (to Kerio, ... If Kerio is off and the XP's ICF is enabled and it works, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Small office network question
    ... wireless network. ... Mbps Wireless Firewall Router (http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/ ... BT2700HGV dual SSID wireless router? ... I will be connecting the two bits of kit via ethernet. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Firewalls
    ... Unless you have a multiport hub or wireless it common that it doesn't even do NAT, ... And wireless is -very- often wide open and then the intruder is usually already behind the firewall. ... Sometimes the first problem connecting to your wireless is -not- connecting to the neighbors :-) ... Or using you compromised system to stage attacks on other systems, use as zombie remailers or set up a warez site, or just getting their kicks out of trashing whatever work you've done. ...
    (comp.os.minix)