"Number of VPN tunnels supported" what does it mean?

From: Zulfiqar Haider (un1xadm_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 02/11/04

Date: 11 Feb 2004 12:35:32 -0800

Hi Folks,

I am doing comparison study of different firewall products for
deployment at our corporate office. One of the interesting criteria I
came across is the "Maximum VPN tunnels" a firewall appliance can
support. To my understanding, any client establishing a VPN session on
firewall will occupy one VPN tunnel. If that is correct, then some of
the pretty low-end firewalls have upto 2000 maximum VPN tunnels, which
makes me think something may be wrong with my understanding of this
concept.

Similarly, talking about maximum TCP sessions. If have to calculate
how many "maximum tcp sessions" should I have on my future firewall,
is there any rule of thumb that can tell me how I can convert our
total active users into the total tcp / udp sessions, for planning
purposes.

Thanks all

Zulfiqar Haider

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Adding a 3rd NIC to an SBS2003 Premium server.
    ... I currently run our SBS server with two NIC's behind a perimeter hardware ... the firewall routers. ... those vpn tunnels terminate outside of the SBS ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Is it possible to "route" from VPN to VLAN
    ... :On a firewall in a hosting environment: ... :customer, and have the trafik 'routed' into the customers VLAN on a switch? ... PIX 7.0 software and the Unrestricted license, and the Cisco PIX 535 ... into account the number of VPN tunnels you requested. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: firewall recommendation
    ... If you need a very simple firewall and have no experience: ... If you need to create VPN tunnels: Cisco 1700 series with VPN (IOS ... You will need a Cisco person to install this. ... If you want a middle of the road, ISA Server 2004. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • CSPM bringing down tunnels during update
    ... We have a large amount of firewalls being managed by Cisco CSPM version ... VPN tunnels. ... Sometimes when we make some changes on CSPM and approve any firewall & ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: "Number of VPN tunnels supported" what does it mean?
    ... The number of VPN tunnels is equal to the number of remote gateways ... So effectively, the number of VPN tunnels will always be greater than, ... > firewall will occupy one VPN tunnel. ... talking about maximum TCP sessions. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)