Norton Personal Firewall 2004 problem

From: Big Mac (no-email-in-usenet_at_zzz.org)
Date: 02/10/04

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:00:44 GMT

I use Windows XP home version on an Athalon 3200 computer.

I bought Norton SystemWorks 2004. All applications of it seem to work
just fine

Glued to the side of other box was a bonus - another box with Norton
Personal Firewall.

With the Norton Personal Firewall engaged, I cannot get any web pages
to display. "Page not Found" is what I get. I was able to get email
and usenet.

I've tried turning off Windows XP built-in firewall, in case of a
conflict. I've tried a few different toggles in the Norton Firewall.
I've rebooted several times and tried engaging unengaging several
times. No good. No web access.

Right now I am running the old set-up - Windows XP's firewall on.
The Norton Firewall is off, though some features of it still work.

Symantec has no free voice support. It is very expensive to call them
voice. No email support. A good website with support. Right now I
am trying to see if this "ccApp.exe, explained at the symantec website
as follows. But I don't know what "NIS" is. If it stands for "Norton
Internet Security", I cannot find that in my Norton Personal Firewall.

And I must add that this is a clean install from a CD, and not an
upgrade over any other firewall.

Any input is appreciated.

------------------ from symantec help page -----
To verify that a rule for ccApp.exe exists
Open NIS.
Double-click Personal Firewall.
Verify that a rule for "Symantec User Session" or "ccApp.exe" exists
in the list.

To create a rule for ccApp.exe
Open NIS.
Double-click Personal Firewall.
Click Add.
Browse to and select C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccApp.exe.
Click OK.
In the "What do you want to do?" dialog box, select Permit and click
OK.
The "Application Catagory" dialog box appears. Select General and
click OK.
--------------- end

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Norton Personal Firewall 2004 problem
    ... > Glued to the side of other box was a bonus - another box with Norton ... > With the Norton Personal Firewall engaged, I cannot get any web pages ... Then go complain to their support page after you uninstall it. ... > Open NIS. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: view workgroup computers--workaround
    ... norton is preventing your computer to communicate with other computer. ... if you browse some of my previous posts where a personal firewall is ... Open c:\netview.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into your next post. ... Ping itself by ip address. ...
  • Re: Newbie with Norton Personal Firewall - Help Please
    ... >I've installed the Norton Personal Firewall 2004 version. ... >be enabled and blocking some intrusions. ... And if so how do I enable my Norton Firewall ... advance reports; all ports blocked, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Hotfix KB912919 is dangerous!!
    ... The web-page Norton sent didn't help so this is the solution he sent me to ... double-click Personal Firewall. ... Click the first item in the Manual Program Control list. ... > addressing this that you can post here for others, Skye? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Why does everybody seem to hate Symantec (Norton) ?
    ... what do you suggest that I install for virus protection and firewall? ... I currently run Norton 2006 and it is killing my PC, ... For firewall there is Zone Alarm, Sunbelt Software's Kerio Personal Firewall (free and paid. ... You should also have several other non viral anti-malware apps including Adaware SE, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster BHO Demon, and possibly Windows Defender. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)