Re: Zonealarm and LinkSys DSL/Cable Router

From: Thrawn05 (thrawn05_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 02/09/04

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 21:29:34 GMT

It's not the P2P program I am concerned about (Because of the large amounts
of data we share, it was deemed the easiest way to work together), it's
sharing files between the two windows systems that I have a problem with. I
need to constantly shut off ZA to get the two computers to see each other.
Even if I set both computer's Ethernet cards as Trusted ZA won't let me drag
and drop files between the two. I have to shut it off. It doesn't seem to
tell which is from the computer and which is from the net. And this is a
pain since both computers are NOT in the same room and I'm tired of "opps, I
didn't turn off ZA, I have to go up stairs again".

I use the free version because as I far I can tell, nothing the pay versions
don't seem to have anything I would rush out to get.

If there is a software firewall that could tell which is from the computer
and which is a potential hack automatically please tell me.

"zenner" <zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> 1st, security and peer to Peer are mutually excluding.
>
> 2nd, since you chose to use P2P, you will need to configure ZA to allow
that
> application to act as a server, have access to the internet...in the pro
> version that is possible, I don't know what is allowed (configuration
wise)
> with the free version.
>
> 3, switch all your discs over to NTFS, if you haven't already, then be
very
> diligent about setting access to specific ID's and remove everyone,
> anonymous from anything you value.
>
> 4th, I am not a fan of P2P on thing that I rely on. If you insist, you may
> want to build a "sacrificial" system...then limit all Open access to that
> machine only, might even put it on a DMZ with separate subnet.
>
> Just another opinion.
>
> "Thrawn05" <thrawn05@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> : I'm sorry in advanced if this has been addressed already.
> :
> : I'm using a LinkSys BEFSR41 DSL/Cable Router (Wired) and both machines
are
> : WinXP Pro using standard ZoneAlarm. I frequently shares files/folders
and
> : printers between the two as well as private P2P programs over my DSL
line
> : with my co-workers. I need to know how to keep the ZA firewall up and
> keep
> : be able to share my files.
> :
> : I don't have the kind of money to get a hardware firewall router, but if
> : there is a another software firewall that can let me do this (NOT
Windows'
> : firewall) please let me know.
> :
> : Thrawn05
> :
> :
>

> ---

  • Re: Black,Blue,andBlack again
    ... then me rebooting more times than I can count. ... seriously and have always used ZoneAlarm, ... This way in the past we have been able to stop our computers from being ... We have now tried using another firewall software called Sygate Personal ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Sharing a printer
    ... Here are general network troubleshooting steps. ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it. ... On the assumption that you in fact do have a router that connects to the Internet and that your computers then connect to the router, then if you think that you have one IP for multiple computers then you probably are using a website tool such as http://whatismyip.com/ That shows the your public IP address -- the one that the rest of the world sees. ...
  • Re: Networks : Workgroups and Domains. How Do I Use Them?
    ... in My Network Places, it may take some time for a network resource to show up. ... all of the computers must be on the same subnet. ... it depends on whether you have Simple File Sharing enabled or disabled. ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it. ...
  • Re: cannot get XP printer to share with vista PC
    ... You have to set up file/printer sharing first. ... a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ... put all computers in the same Workgroup. ... Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the ...
  • Re: Reverting Wireless to Wired Network.
    ... I worked with Norton Firewall (disabling, ... telling me to talk to my "network administrator". ... Now none of the three computers can talk to anything, ... > uninstalled a firewall program, reinstall it and then uninstall it. ...