Re: Zonealarm and LinkSys DSL/Cable Router

From: zenner (zenner_at_pacbell.net)
Date: 02/09/04

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:09:58 GMT

1st, security and peer to Peer are mutually excluding.

2nd, since you chose to use P2P, you will need to configure ZA to allow that
application to act as a server, have access to the internet...in the pro
version that is possible, I don't know what is allowed (configuration wise)
with the free version.

3, switch all your discs over to NTFS, if you haven't already, then be very
diligent about setting access to specific ID's and remove everyone,
anonymous from anything you value.

4th, I am not a fan of P2P on thing that I rely on. If you insist, you may
want to build a "sacrificial" system...then limit all Open access to that
machine only, might even put it on a DMZ with separate subnet.

Just another opinion.

"Thrawn05" <thrawn05@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: I'm sorry in advanced if this has been addressed already.
:
: I'm using a LinkSys BEFSR41 DSL/Cable Router (Wired) and both machines are
: WinXP Pro using standard ZoneAlarm. I frequently shares files/folders and
: printers between the two as well as private P2P programs over my DSL line
: with my co-workers. I need to know how to keep the ZA firewall up and
keep
: be able to share my files.
:
: I don't have the kind of money to get a hardware firewall router, but if
: there is a another software firewall that can let me do this (NOT Windows'
: firewall) please let me know.
:
: Thrawn05
:
:

---

  • Re: vpn redundancy PIX and 3000 series
    ... >they can vpn into a pix525 firewall, and if the internet connection the ... "The peer that packets are actually sent to is determined by the last ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: XP firewall doesnt screen oubound traffic?
    ... As I said in an earlier post, I have seen other complaints about the lack of adequate information provided by ZoneAlarm, in order to make intelligent decisions. ... > firewall earlier this year, but finally turned it off out of complete ... > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...
  • Re: Peer to Peer file sharing using WidowsXP accross the internet
    ... I am able to ping the peer PC. ... I installed the netbeui protocol to see if ... I have both the tcp/ip and the ... You need a firewall in place, even if it isn't the Windows firewall. ...
  • Re: Nimda E virus
    ... As I understand, a firewall is not ... |>| used an antivirus tool to delete/repair damaged files. ... |>| helpful messages from WIndowsUpdate. ... |>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...
  • Re: Globally prevent users from downloading certain files
    ... That depends on what firewall, ... gateway you're running at your Internet gateway, ... you can block downloads for common transfer protocols like HTTP, FTP, ... SMTP, NNTP and peer to peer, but users might still be able to download ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)