Re: Opening Port 3389

From: Keith (_at_.)
Date: 02/06/04

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:34:31 -0000

We have VPN already but staff are mostly too incompetent to use it.

A much simpler solution is if they can access Terminal Services over the
internet. They get a full-screen desktop and it all looks just like it does
when they are in the office - much neater for those who are useless.

TS over the net is a must for my users - I don't see another way around it.

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 20:12:56 -0000, "Keith" <@.> spoketh
>
> >The firewall at my work is a Cisco PIX 515E with DMZ.
> >
> >On the DMZ I am going to sit a 2k server with IIS as a web server.
Inside
> >my LAN I have my normal 2k domain servers and also a 2k server acting as
> >Terminal Services server.
> >
> >If I open port 3389 on the PIX in theory my users should be able to fully
> >use Terminal Services inside my LAN from the Internet.
> >
> >Does anyone see any security risks with opening port 3389 and only 3389
on
> >the PIX?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Keith
> >

> Way too much irrelevant information. Since your DMZ servers and LAN
> domain servers doesn't play into this, leave it out. If all you want is
> terminal server access for your crew on the outside of the firewall, use
> VPN. Then only authorized users will have access to your terminal
> server...
>

> Lars M. Hansen
> www.hansenonline.net
> Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Terminal Services
    ... RWW is included in Premium and Standard and is similar to terminal services, ... > Am I correct in my thougths that no matter if we ran SBS or Windows Server ... >> Web Wokplace or VPN and do what you wish. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Really need VPN help!
    ... can't route them over the Internet. ... That will tell the routers where to look on the ... would be very fast (faster then VPN) and fairly secure. ... >through terminal services (MSFT Remote Desktop, ...
  • Re: Setup Terminal Server..
    ... Terminal ServiceTo give specific rights for groups other than Administrators: start the Terminal Services Configuration tool, double-click the connection you want to modify ... ... To configure Group Policy Object that apply to a Terminal Services server or Terminal server. ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ...
  • Re: Setup Terminal Server..
    ... start the Terminal Services Configuration tool, ... Terminal Services server or Terminal server. ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ...
  • Re: Which is the best for allowing users to work from home? Terminal Services / Remote Access?
    ... I had pretty much ruled out Remote Control of individual PC's. ... terminal services or VPN is the way to go. ... With 2003 Terminal Services, I suppose I'd be looking at an additional ... Server 2003 box with terminal service licenses which sounds like it ...