Re: Firewall: router vs. software

From: Duane Arnold (
Date: 02/05/04

Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:38:09 GMT

Leythos <> wrote in news:MPG.1a8b0d9f50be77e398a149@news-

> In article <499Ub.1417$>,
> says...
>> Pasted:
>> > Not everyone has unlimited dialing capability.
>> >
>> > ll
>> On a local phone call to your dial-up ISP that has a local dial-up
>> connection, I don't think so. At most, one would have to pay for the
>> amount of the data being downloaded.
> Actually, there are still metered plans where people pay per minute. In
> some countries the service is still by the minute.

This is about if you want to save time with long downloads from MS or
anyone else for that matter using a dial-up connection, then do it during
off peak hours.

I always did it when I was using dial-up at those times and it went a lot
faster slam, bam, thank you and it's over. Now, if someone has a
situation as to where they have to pay extra to use their phone service
to do it, that is tuff pay it and be done with it.

Otherwise, they can move lock, stock and barrel to Dayton, OH where it's
only a local call to an ISP like Netzero and be done with it as well. <g>

Either way, I don't give a damn. <g>

Do I need someone *cry* posting to me about it trying to prove some
little tired point about it?

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Germany joins calls to end Googles "free lunch"
    ... Everyone who gets connected to the Internet pays for that connection. ... I have no doubt that google pays big $$$ for the bandwidth they get and use, hence they pay a bigger share than the consumer who pays for a simple lower bandwidth connection. ... To bridge the remaining meters from the fiber optic network to ...
  • Re: DRDB LIARS to be replaced by DRDG LIARS
    ... I'll concede that you pay more to LLU ISPs if you're connected to an non-unbundled exchange. ... And I don't accept that many people would have to "spend lots of money" listening to Internet radio, because people subscribe to the Internet anyway, and the packages available these days: shows that broadband with sufficiently high download caps is inexpensive, and I would say that the percentage of people who would have to upgrade their package just because of their Internet radio listening will be low. ... If you dig a bit deeper though you'll find a lot of the prices listed are introductory offers, after which some prices double, also a lot of the prices require you to be connected to an unbundled exchange or live in a cable area. ... I obviously have to pay a premium for my connection, although it's not a ridiculously high price as I'm connected to cable and wireless's LLU service via a re-seller. ...
  • Re: East Coast wifi
    ... trains, and it dropped the connection a couple of times per trip. ... pays these charges for First Class ticket holders, ... I think there's another issue here; if passengers have to pay then ...
  • Re: SBC!!!(with disgust!!!!) - or delight!!!!
    ... I've been on SBC DSL for about 3 years now. ... well, my connection, shared or otherwise, is still almost ten times faster ... You get what you pay for. ... >> Sorry, corporate idiots, if you can't give me a simple answer to a ...
  • Re: Slightly off topic - broadband in Sweden and USA
    ... Government can never do anything ... So, for my house to get connected by fiber, it cost me $3300 - That's for the ... tax free for the first five years (if you choose to pay off monthly/yearly). ... take responsibility for the connection. ...