Re: How to block RealPlayer ??

From: Doz (dcreber_at_camfordpressdotco.uk)
Date: 02/03/04

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:01:45 -0000

I like the Linux idea best... :-)

"NeoSadist" <neosad1st@charter.net> wrote in message
news:101d3qu9q4pqq57@corp.supernews.com...
> Doz wrote:
>
> > How can I block realplayer use on your network ??
> >
> > I use a speedtouch 510 pro and I'm able to use the firewall bit... but
> > which ports to block?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Doz
>
> I'm assuming your network is windows-based clients.
> 1) Develop a policy where an employee who installs any unathorized
software,
> or any software without asking your permission first, gets fined.
> 2) Use a windows version where the average joe can't just install things
> (i.e. don't use win95/98/me, use win2k or winNT).
> 3) If necessary, find the ports that realplayer uses as a default, and
block
> those outright in the firewall. Also, do a google for "download
> realplayer" or something, and block web access to the specific sites that
> they can obtain it at (as much as possible).
> 4) Review the logs of all client machines daily (using some sort of
> automation so that you don't go insane), checking for such entries.
> 5) Once a day, make it a point to randomly log into a client remotely and
> check what software is installed on it.
> 6) Develop a computer use policy where the user becomes legally liable for
> their computer. That way if you can prove they were being either
negligent
> or intentionally doing improper things, fine them. Make THEM pay for the
> repairs :)
> 7) Use Linux, so that your users are totally clueless, and have no
possible
> way of installing anything :)
>
> --
> The advertisement is the most truthful part of a newspaper
> -- Thomas Jefferson

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Customized Debian - Was: What are some common problems when using Debian GNU / LINUX?
    ... I've got much more than four installs on my machine. ... The reason for having tons of Linux installs is, ... Since Linux can't show the partitions inside the BSD slice, ... my setup is seen by FreeBSD: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: I request inclusion of reiser4 in the mainline kernel
    ... >>because they had too much dignity to develop a filesystem for Linux. ... Uh, no, it ran all the DOS applications better than DOS did. ... We need the mass testing. ... "new installs", it was very intentional. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: O.T. Backup suggestions
    ... Macrium controls and the same interface as you see in the ... You have no access to the Linux ... It creates a dual boot file and installs the Grub on the harddrive. ... I like this one, and it dont ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • ports system woes
    ... What exactly "removing dependency on package" means? ... port installs?). ... Allow it 3-5 hours per 1000 installed ports 8-) The good thing is that ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Need guidance
    ... Which Linux distro should I start with if I'm a newbie to ... bootable CD or a distro that installs on a FAT32 partition, ... Just about every Linux distro can be scaled to run on most any hardware. ... Bug fixes in Linux are usually for usability of a particular program. ...
    (comp.os.linux.questions)