Re: Firewall: router vs. software

From: Big Will (SpamWSpamiSpamlSpamlSpamBSpam4SpameSpamvSpaaaaameSpammityrSpam_at_nIdontlikeSpamet)
Date: 02/03/04

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 02:00:20 -0800

Hey, our cops aren't doing the job here in the U.S. Crime rate is on the
rise. Let's just dump the whole police force, as they seem to be useless in
their application. Do you see the problem with the logic here.

Even though it's not perfect, it still will catch some of the outbound
requests that otherwise would go unoticed w/o software firewall. Hey, it's
not perfect, but it is an added layer of security.

--
William
If it don't work, hit it.
"Wolfgang Kueter" <wolfgang@shconnect.de> wrote in message
> lisa_langford@blu.net wrote:
>
> > Wolfgang Kueter wrote:

> >>Wrong, they are useless for that.
>
> > Program "X", a trojan wants to dial the mothership.
>
> If the machine is infected with §MALWARE you cannot trust any piece of
> software (including those firewall placebos!) any more.
>
> > Most times Zone/Sygate/etc will catch the outbound request.
>
> There is no place for phrases like 'most times, sometimes, maybe, often
etc'
> in security.
>
> > Of course now it is in the hands of the user to make a smart decision,
>
> A firewall must not allow end user interaction.
>
> > which is where they do fall short.
>
> The fall short long before that.
>
> > Of course there are ways around everything.
>
> Therefore those tools are useless.
>
> Wolfgang
> --
> A foreign body and a foreign mind
> never welcome in the land of the blind.
> from 'Not one of us', (c) 1980 Peter Gabriel

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wikipedias Down
    ... David Tennant were useless, but even with the more competent ones ... Troll vicious stalking troll Tom80s the SADako! ... Hey! ...
    (rec.arts.drwho)
  • Re: Wikipedias Down
    ... David Tennant were useless, but even with the more competent ones ... A mis-spelling troll mutant. ... TRolls Tom80s the SADako! ... Hey! ...
    (rec.arts.drwho)
  • Re: girl in destress!!
    ... > I'm probably in the wrong news group but hey heres the prob anyway as I ... My firewall was stopped and his took it's place. ... > suggested lol. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • SMTP Relay, closed (or so i thought)?
    ... Hey there, "the list". ... I was wondering, i recently sat up my own smtp/imap server, behind my ... firewall.. ... (running Exim/Courier) ...
    (Debian-User)
  • system-config-network and ipsec
    ... i try to set up an easy ipsec network with my wirless clients. ... to connect to my firewall, so as they would feel at home afterwards;-) ...
    (Fedora)