Re: Threat of running a web server?

From: Dazz (cashdj_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/23/04

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:16:55 +1000

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:09:00 -0500, kurt wismer <kurtw@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

<snipped>

>and i still contend that the context in which 'services' is used in
>"Internet Infomration Services" is equivalent to the context of banking
>services or other service industry services, rather than windows
>services... microsoft rarely includes technical terms in product names...

Lets go back to what I originally said.

"IIS actually offers a range of services, such as http, ftp and nntp,
so it does in effect describe what it offers - services."

I didn't say that it was called IIS because it has things running as
services - which seems to be your point.

Otherwise, Windows 2003, XP, 2000 and NT would all be called IIS (they
all run various services).

But lets move on.

Take note of the " ... so it does in effect describe what it offers -
services".

Those "services" happen to be ftp, nntp and http.

As I've already pointed out, even though ftp, nntp, and http are all
protocols, they are also commonly named services that run on various
servers.

Even Microsoft agree.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/iis/evaluation/features/default.mspx

"Traditionally, File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is used to transfer files
and to upload Web content to service providers. The built-in FTP
service in IIS 6.0 provides includes the ability to isolate users in
their own directory, to prevent them from viewing or overwriting other
users' Web content."

So, clearly, I don't think you actually read my post. You half read
it, and then jumped to a conclusion, which happens to be mistaken.

Also take note of the following:

"So, in effect, IIS, a product name, is describing what it offers -
and that is, services."

How do you think Terminal Server got its name?

How do you think Exchange Server got it's name?

So, what I said was actually correct, and that is:

"So, in effect, IIS, a product name, is describing what it offers -
and that is, services."

As you can see, from Terminal Server and even Exchange Server,
Microsoft do name "products" after the description of what they offer.

Further to that, it's interesting that you used the word "rarely"
because that can be taken as they *do* use technical terms in product
names.

Sure, maybe not all the time, but they do.

Dazz

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Threat of running a web server?
    ... microsoft rarely includes technical terms in product names... ... "IIS actually offers a range of services, such as http, ftp and nntp, ... Those "services" happen to be ftp, ... How do you think Exchange Server got it's name? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • RE: Problem with OWA
    ... Please help me collect IIS log and Metabase for further ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... <Thread-Topic: Problem with OWA ... Click Start, click Server Management. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: IIS Start up errors
    ... provide the detailed steps to reinstall the IIS server in SBS 2003 server. ... For example, programs such as Microsoft ... In the Currently installed programs list, click Windows Small Business ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Problem with OWA
    ... Please help me collect IIS log and Metabase for further ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... <Thread-Topic: Problem with OWA ... Click Start, click Server Management. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Problem with OWA
    ... mostly the issue is related to the IIS settings ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... <Thread-Topic: Problem with OWA ... Click Start, click Server Management. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)