Re: Threat of running a web server?

From: Noyb (zarwell_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/19/04

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:16:30 GMT

> This is true. But BlackIce cannot protect on outbound connections. It
> does protect on an unsolicited outbound connection from the machine and
> will block it. And BI will block an application from outbound connections
> by exe, dll, ocx or any program file type you place into the Checksum.fle
> for monitoring. And BI has good logging of these events if you're using
> VisualIce (free use Google) and BI logging is enabled.
>
> But BlackIce cannot stop outbound connections to IP(s), port(s), protocol
> (s), DNS(s) etc and that's where IPsec comes into play on the Win2k, XP
> and Win 2K3 O/S(s) that can do that.
>

> > Sounds like a firewall, and it's always seemed to protect me. If you'd
> > like to suggest some other solutions and not just "microsoft weenie"
> > cut-downs I'd like to hear them.
>
> BlackIce does have a FW component that I have used from day one I started
> using the product. And BI as stopped a couple of attacks that came right
> through that NAT router, when no ports were being forwaded to a machine.
>
> I too get tired of watching people bitch and cry about the MS NT based
> O/S which can be configured to be secure or BlackIce as well which can be
> used effectively if configured properly.
>
> Duane :)

Thanks Duane! Once again you've been very helpful to less experienced users
like myself.
Steve.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Threat of running a web server?
    ... But BlackIce cannot protect on outbound connections. ... I too get tired of watching people bitch and cry about the MS NT based ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Threat of running a web server?
    ... But BlackIce cannot protect on outbound connections. ... I too get tired of watching people bitch and cry about the MS NT based ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Threat of running a web server?
    ... But BlackIce cannot protect on outbound connections. ... Thanks Duane! ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Question on firewalls
    ... Blackice will generally only protect the sytem it's on. ... properly secured and setup server with Blackice installed. ... One of the computers is acting as a server, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)