Re: Better Firewall/Router?

From: Jbob (nobody_at_SpamCox.net)
Date: 12/17/03

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:06:53 -0600

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1a4a542cba1d33c8989f6f@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
> In article <C9CdnV7-modcG32iRVn-iQ@comcast.com>, nobody@SpamCox.net
> says...
> [snip]
> I hate to actually suggest this, but if you want to learn about
> firewalls, the home user market devices are not a good place to start -
> try a small PC with any operating system and install a firewall
> application. Most people use Linux and IPtables in this setting.
>
> As for the Linksys, there are three versions that provide additional
> features - the BEFSX41 and the BEFVP41, (can't remember the other one)
> are nice units that also allow you to play with filters, ipsec tunnels,
> etc... I use both at clients locations, some even have both units
> installed depending on the needs.
>
> If you want to play with serious firewalls, look into Sonic, WatchGuard,
> PIX, etc... These will set you back about $2500 in most cases, but they
> are a load of fun to work with.
>

> --
> --
> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

I am trying to learn Linux but it is coming slowly. I have loaded Redhat
(7, 8 and 9) several times and Mandrake (9.1 and 9.2) but that is about as
far as I have gotten. I just haven't dug down deep to try and get all the
nuts and bolts worked out. Heck I'm still trying to figure out how to
install and app.:-) It is a big change from Windows!