Re: Better Firewall/Router?

From: Jbob (nobody_at_SpamCox.net)
Date: 12/17/03

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:06:53 -0600

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1a4a542cba1d33c8989f6f@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
> In article <C9CdnV7-modcG32iRVn-iQ@comcast.com>, nobody@SpamCox.net
> says...
> [snip]
> I hate to actually suggest this, but if you want to learn about
> firewalls, the home user market devices are not a good place to start -
> try a small PC with any operating system and install a firewall
> application. Most people use Linux and IPtables in this setting.
>
> As for the Linksys, there are three versions that provide additional
> features - the BEFSX41 and the BEFVP41, (can't remember the other one)
> are nice units that also allow you to play with filters, ipsec tunnels,
> etc... I use both at clients locations, some even have both units
> installed depending on the needs.
>
> If you want to play with serious firewalls, look into Sonic, WatchGuard,
> PIX, etc... These will set you back about $2500 in most cases, but they
> are a load of fun to work with.
>

> --
> --
> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

I am trying to learn Linux but it is coming slowly. I have loaded Redhat
(7, 8 and 9) several times and Mandrake (9.1 and 9.2) but that is about as
far as I have gotten. I just haven't dug down deep to try and get all the
nuts and bolts worked out. Heck I'm still trying to figure out how to
install and app.:-) It is a big change from Windows!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: recovering from hack/trojan
    ... need to disconnect the system, reformat, reinstall, harden, protect with a ... reinstall, ... Firewalls get changes or disabled, ... soon after an install: Keep ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: XP Home cannot see XP Pro
    ... Then run LSP / Winsock repair. ... You mentioned uninstalling both firewalls. ... Un install the drivers for the network card. ...
  • Re: Have firewall/internal network, but still receiving probes from AOL user -- how?
    ... trolling around for ports. ... > through both hardware and software firewalls (Sygate was allowing the ... you need to install on it to have any decent security. ... There are only a handful of viruses that can infect linux ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Long Uptime
    ... >> ZoneAlarm, etc.)) firewalls. ... 10% Others (core), like the RPC problem or what ever this new one is. ... Install 2000Lite and Remove IE, outlook, and all that crap. ... I spend MORE time fixing the crap that MS breaks (NO I DON'T WANT TO ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: recovering from hack/trojan
    ... Patches are not the only thing you should do, but if your system is fully ... Some hackers even patch the systems themselves to prevent other ... The firewalls were having ... soon after an install: Keep ...
    (microsoft.public.security)