Re: Software Firewall or NAT Router or Both?

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 12/15/03

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:12:57 GMT

"K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in
news:Vh8Db.153644$655.28031815@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

> The Linksys Knowledge Base site appears to be down. Could you give me
> step by step instructions for the DMZ and the DHCP IP.

Go to the router Admin screen the Advanced Tab/DMZ Tab.

Enter in 192.168.1.254 but you would enter 254, since you cannot enter
the other nodes of the 192.168.1 IP because that part is protected on the
screen and it's implied that the other parts of the IP are 192.168.1.

Then press the Apply button. You will not find this information at the
Linksys site, because this is a *TIP* that was passed on to me as I am
passing it on to you to block the ports on the router that didn't pass
the Sygate test.

> Whatever I need to do to block those 2 ports. Feel free to e-mail
> direct.

After you have done the DMZ thing above and checked the screen to make
sure it's holding by coming out of the router Admin screens (basically
logging out of the router) and logging back into the router and going
back to the DMZ screen to see that the 254 held on the screen, you can
then run the test at Sygate or any other testing site like PCFlank,
Gibson's test site and the router will now pass the tests.

I'll assume that you have changed the router's default factory password
to access the Admin setup on the router to something else. You can search
Google as well as the Linksys site for this information on *how to do
it*.

It don't take no rocket scientist to figure this stuff out! :)

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: One or two questions (2)
    ... you do get the Laptop. ... But it would be nice to have more Pixels on it (which gives better ... You *can* actually get 17 Inch Screens with as high a Resolution as ... That's the job of the Router & why you need a Router to do it all. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Software Firewall or NAT Router or Both?
    ... >> The Linksys Knowledge Base site appears to be down. ... > Go to the router Admin screen the Advanced Tab/DMZ Tab. ... > sure it's holding by coming out of the router Admin screens (basically ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Winsock error after running CEICW
    ... Found out I made a mistake on the router; forgot to scroll down to the ... went to other screens and came back - everything was still there. ... forward port 23 to the external NIC, re-run CEICW and then try Telnet ... timed out trying to "talk" to the mail server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 3rd Time Liucky...?
    ... to the DHCP request sent to the router. ... I would doublecheck the settings on the router. ... Also while going thru the router set-up screens ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: DMZ (De-militarized Zone)
    ... It seems like our friend Wolfgang Kueter has not understood what i ... I guess i can explain our network ... Cisco 827 Router ... Usually the DMZ capable routers have LAN,WAN & DMZ, like the one ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)