Re: Software Firewall or NAT Router or Both?

From: K2NNJ (ktwonnj_at_NOSPAMoptonline.net)
Date: 12/15/03

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:40:05 GMT

The Linksys Knowledge Base site appears to be down. Could you give me step
by step instructions for the DMZ and the DHCP IP.

Whatever I need to do to block those 2 ports. Feel free to e-mail direct.

Thank you,

Bob

"Duane Arnold" <notme@notme.com> wrote in message
> "K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in
>
> > The only option I have for the DMZ is 192.168.1.xxx.
>
> Well the router can work with 255 IP(s) being used to 255 computers
> requesting a DHCP IP or using one of the router's static IP(s) That's if
> you had 255 computers connected to the router with your home networking
> setup. You got 255 computers that you're trying to setup at home?
>
> I think the default out of the box DHCP IP is starting at 192.168.1.100
> and goes for about 50 IP(s) that can be issued via DHCP on the router,
> which can be set to its max of 254.
>
> You'll also notice that the devise IP of the router is 192.168.1.1 which
> means that any of Admin screen on the router can only address or program
> an IP that's in the range of the device IP. 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.99
> are the router's static IP(s) that can be used and 192.168.1.100 -
> 192.168.1.254 are the router's DHCP IP(s) that can be issued. Those are
> the *programmable* IP(s) of the router based on the base device IP. So,
> of course, if you change the device IP to another starting IP, the other
> IP(s)that the router can address through an Admin Screen will be based on
> it.
>
> Out of the box, the UPNP for any port is not enabled on the router. You
> would have had to gone to the UPNP Admin screen and *enable* UPNP on a
> port. So, if you have not done that it is not enabled.
>
> Once again, if you want to pass the Sygate test put a dummy IP into the
> DMZ ADmin screen and press the Apply Button to enable it. Then the router
> will pass the test.
>
> www.linksys.com Support\Knowledge Base and ask any question or search for
> the *how to(s)* concerning the functions of the Linksys routers. Also
> Google as well.
>
> Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Networking Question - VLANs on SBS 2003 Premium SP1
    ... DHCP running on the router. ... Set the DHCP on the router, to make a exclusion of IP range. ... you can set the SBS use fix IP by run the CEICW. ... all gust wireless clients will get IP address from DHCP on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • help
    ... Network, routers, DHCP and PXE ... wget vs fetch ... It's a Thomson SpeedTouch 585 router. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: How do I configure SBS 2003 as a DHCP server?
    ... To disable the private "LAN" side DHCP service (not the DHCP service on the ... of the PPPoE adapter and enable your Speedstream as a DSL modem and router. ... For the Vista computer to interact with SBS, ... Windows Small Business Server 2003: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Networking Question - VLANs on SBS 2003 Premium SP1
    ... DHCP running on the router. ... Set the DHCP on the router, to make a exclusion of IP range. ... you can set the SBS use fix IP by run the CEICW. ... all gust wireless clients will get IP address from DHCP on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: DHCP addresses on LAN
    ... The router acts as a DHCP server. ... the addresses are rotated as lease time expires and my lease time was 0 ... You really shouldn't have the router IP in the DHCP lease pool. ... have space for items which require fixed IPs, such as the router, a printer, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.comm)