Re: Why is FreeBSD Used Instead of Linux for Firewalls?

From: sponge (yosponge_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 12/11/03

Date: 10 Dec 2003 19:16:14 -0800

Chris Mattern <syscjm@gwu.edu> wrote in message news:<3FD795CE.2040108@gwu.edu>...
> Arman wrote:
> > I wanna know what is the advantage of using FreeBSD over the linux. Or
> > there isnt a difference and people can use Linux for firewalls?
> >
> Linux can be and is used for firewalls, certainly. But FreeBSD is known
> for its excellent attention to security. FreeBSD code is rigorously
> reviewed for security holes, and FreeBSD partisans like to brag how
> seldom a remote exploit is found in the default install (as in, once
> every few years...). Its highly secure nature makes it a natural
> choice for firewalls.
>
> Chris Mattern

OpenBSD, in particular, only offered for distribution after some
pretty rigorous code-checking. Not that that's a guarantee of
security, but it speaks volumes about the extra time and attention to
detail giving to every line of code.
Just wish porting to it was easier...

Sponge
Sponge's Secure Solutions
www.geocities.com/yosponge
My new email: yosponge2 att yahoo dott com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FREEBSD or LINUX
    ... wheather FreeBSD is better than linux? ... (i still use winxp for my personal desktop - *taki runs and hides from ... security - firewalls, VPN sevrer, e.t.c.. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: FreeBSD 4.x Opteron Question
    ... the FreeBSD developers told everyone that 5.3 was da ... initially over linux not because there's a bunch of good guys on the ... My tests measure kernel performance; ... > a networking device is a key performance indicator. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle
    ... my freeBSD days seem to be coming to an end. ... freeBSD will be support this GPU in R9... ... i really like freeBSD's robustness, especially compared to linux, among ... tight, we run CentOS, which is essentially a repackaged version of RHEL. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Newbie Experience
    ... I've only been around since FreeBSD 5.4 ... FreeBSD kernel too. ... always sunshine and linux is farts. ... in the hey day of AT&T Unix I'm ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: flowtable usable or not
    ... How long did they raped Linux to get it that way looking? ... well, right or wrong, that is then issue for whom likes to compile, we ... the user domain of FreeBSD is shrinking. ... almost composed of developers or insiders or programmers or lovers, ...
    (freebsd-stable)