Re: Why is FreeBSD Used Instead of Linux for Firewalls?

From: sponge (
Date: 12/11/03

Date: 10 Dec 2003 19:16:14 -0800

Chris Mattern <> wrote in message news:<>...
> Arman wrote:
> > I wanna know what is the advantage of using FreeBSD over the linux. Or
> > there isnt a difference and people can use Linux for firewalls?
> >
> Linux can be and is used for firewalls, certainly. But FreeBSD is known
> for its excellent attention to security. FreeBSD code is rigorously
> reviewed for security holes, and FreeBSD partisans like to brag how
> seldom a remote exploit is found in the default install (as in, once
> every few years...). Its highly secure nature makes it a natural
> choice for firewalls.
> Chris Mattern

OpenBSD, in particular, only offered for distribution after some
pretty rigorous code-checking. Not that that's a guarantee of
security, but it speaks volumes about the extra time and attention to
detail giving to every line of code.
Just wish porting to it was easier...

Sponge's Secure Solutions
My new email: yosponge2 att yahoo dott com