Re: Questions about NPF 2004

From: P Gentry (rdgentry1_at_cablelynx.com)
Date: 12/10/03

Date: 10 Dec 2003 09:05:08 -0800

"Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message news:<cY6dnb9xP6hTxU6iRVn-hQ@giganews.com>...
> Having installed and uninstalled NPF 2004 twice, I'd rather have it
> installed, but find several annoyances ...
>
> 1) Why are there so many extra processes running in the background?

Try this to get an idea of what is gong on:
These are OS sevices; Norton adds a number of others, many of which
are run at boot. Check other areas of the site for fuller
explanations / suggestions.

> 2) I have enabled the advanced features to detect when programs run other
> processes that access the internet. It seems every time I reboot my
> machine, I have to go through all the warning alerts again for all the stuff
> I previously allowed in. Most annoying is the live update check which runs
> when the machine boots up, and checking my email with Outlook 2003. Does
> this list of allowed modules reset every time I reboot? I noticed that once
> when accessing the list, when I attempted to close it, it crashed with the
> WinXP "This program needs to close" dialog. When I checked the list again
> it was blank.
>
> 3) Is it wise to keep the 2 advanced settings off? (They are off by
> default)

Will be installing NPF and NAV (part of SystemWorks install) later
this week. I'm new to these products on XP, so I'll return / post
here if anything relevant shows up. Switched to Linux before XP and
I'm a bit behind on Win setups these days -- Linux is sooooo superior
for network use. But I do keep Win on disk for non-network use.

Curious, you did not say why you uninstalled / re-installed NPF. If
not done properly, it can create problems. I'm having a hell of a
time uninstalling NAV2003 before proceeding with NSW install. Be sure
to comb the Symantec KB for articles -- it's amazing how many things
can get out of whack with these Norton progs!

hth,
prg
above email diabled

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Application Error - The Memory Could Not Read
    ... Tom, What's your Address? ... AVG for a couple weeks and if I still like it I'll buy the Program. ... problem of the program uninstalling the old and installing the new. ... to an old Install Shield Engine but their solution is only for WXP SP2 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Very old Copmuter / Removing Programs
    ... minimal memory requirements. ... One can install 7-ZIP and it will not influence the ... Windows and the 'always-running applications' without dipping into ... uninstalling applications to free up disk space for use in virtual ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Setup.exe stopped working
    ... I probably can't help with uninstalling those programs, ... Its philosophy is that "unused memory is wasted memory". ... My advice is to stop worrying about how much RAM is being used; just let Vista manage it. ... I thought you were trying to install one. ...
  • Re: Very old Copmuter / Removing Programs
    ... minimal memory requirements. ... One can install 7-ZIP and it will not influence the ... Windows and the 'always-running applications' without dipping into ... uninstalling applications to free up disk space for use in virtual ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Office 2007 send to email
    ... It is unfortunate that install via GPO is no ... I don't think I mentioned that I also have the Exchange 2003 SP2 management ... Upgrade seems to work pretty good on other ... I've tried uninstalling the exchange components, but that has proven to not ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)