Re: Norton personal firewall.

From: Joseph V. Morris (jvmorris_at_erols.com)
Date: 12/10/03

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:28:20 -0500

Neo,

See the page at
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/pfdocs/2002012813563536

I'm lost as to whether you guys are talking about Ad Blocking or Web Content
filtering at this point.

Up through NIS 2002, I believe that you are correct: Ad Blocking required
the acquisition of NIS rather than NPF. It looks as if that situation has
now changed, however.

"NeoSadist" <neosad1st@charter.net> wrote in message
> Nomad wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:01:25 -0700, NeoSadist <neosad1st@charter.net>
> > wrote:

> > I believe you're confusing NPF's program rules and its web content
> > filtering.
>
> Nope, I'm not. NPF does NOT have web content filtering (except
> activex/https/java allow/block options in the settings). You're thinking
> of NIS. Either that, or they've revamped the thing since I've used it,
> since NPF was always "only a firewall" while NIS was "NPF with content
> filtering/adware/spyware/spam stuff with NAV".
>
> > I don't, and have never, used Kazaa but NPF installs with
> > the Kazaa site listed in Options|Web Content with certain ads allowed.
> > Certainly you could set a program rule as you describe, but it is far
> > simpler to change the Web Content panel to block those ads. Your
> > statement that "its job is to filter network traffic, not filter
> > content" is true for a traditional firewall, but is not true for NPF
> > as it does both. That's one of the reasons I chose it over other
> > firewalls that didn't include any web filtering/ad blocking as I
> > wanted an integrated approach from one program rather than having to
> > run multiple programs to do the same jobs.
>
> No, like I said, you all must be thinking of NIS, since, like I said, NPF
> was firewall only software. Also, NPF hasn't been offered on its own any
> more recently, since they moved to an integrated NIS. So, therefore, it's
> NPF that I'm describing. I know that NIS has those other features, etc...

> > I have no idea why those sites were listed by default other than to
> > have some examples present to illustrate how the Web Content panel
> > functioned. To my knowledge, there is no mention in the helpfiles of
> > why these sites were included. IMHO, it was incredibly poor judgement
> > to have included any of those sites with certain ads allowed. My
> > advice would be to delete all the sites and add in sites as you browse
> > that need additional functionality over the default limits set
> > elsewhere in NPF. I yearn for the days before Peter Norton sold out
> > to Symantec.
>
> --
> You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Norton personal firewall.
    ... > I believe you're confusing NPF's program rules and its web content ... NPF does NOT have web content filtering (except ... since NPF was always "only a firewall" while NIS was "NPF with content ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Outlook Express & norton Jan 19th update problem
    ... Assuming NIS or NPF, see http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nip.nsf/docid/2005083015103436 ... If NIS or NPF 2005 or 2004, simply Restore the default rules using the downloaded executable & reboot. ... Why can't Norton ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Norton Personal Firewall 2004 problem
    ... I cannot find that in my Norton Personal Firewall. ... The short answer is that NPF is the firewall component of NIS. ... NPF because they are provided by NAV (also a component of NIS). ... > Open NIS. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Norton personal firewall.
    ... NPF does NOT have web content filtering (except ... >No, like I said, you all must be thinking of NIS, since, like I said, NPF ... it does NOT block adware/spyware or have parental ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Norton Firewall affecting speed ?
    ... What rules do you have set, maybe you're blocking a dns server or ... >>> connection speed even on a vintage PII machine and wireless router. ... After NPF is takes forever to access a site - like ... I use NIS 2002 Pro and havent' noticed anything like this. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)