Re: Cable Router with VPN Firewall

From: NeoSadist (neosad1st_at_charter.net)
Date: 12/08/03

Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 07:49:43 -0700

Charles M. Elias wrote:

> All,
>
> After viewing the posts to this group for several weeks, I am
> convinced that I should buy a cable router with a firewall for my home
> computer. I am currently using Norton Internet Security 2004, but I
> would like the additional security provided by a router with a
> firewall. I am hoping that I can use both NIS and the router firewall
> without problems.

I hope you can too: if you couldn't, that would mean either symantec or the
router company are incompetent. Odds are, there's no reason you shouldn't
be able to use a router with a software firewall, so long as, like i said,
the companies aren't retarded in their design of those items. I know
Symantec isn't stupid...

> I will be running only one computer on the
> router--I will be using it only for its protection capabilities.
> While I am reasonably computer literate, I am router/firewall
> illiterate. I can find plenty of cable/dsl routers, but I am having
> trouble with some of the terminology used to describe their features.
> For example, what is a VPN firewall?

It's a firewall router that has VPN tunnelling abilities. Trust me, if you
don't know what it is, you don't need it (yet). With the amount of
features they put on routers these days, almost all of them have that
feature.

> I don't even know what VPN
> means, so a VPN firewall is a mystery to me. OK, so I can find VPN
> with a Google search, but I would still like an explanation from some
> of the experts on the meaning of "VPN firewall" and whether they think
> it is suitable for my need.

You don't need VPN if you don't know what it is, like I said, but I think it
would be rare to find a firewall router without that feature, so please
read above on my rant.

> Best regards,
>
> Charles

As an opinion only, I recommend the Linksys Firewall router (4 port
version). I think you need more than one port, just in case you buy
another computer or have a LAN party at your home.

--
"Hey!  Who took the cork off my lunch??!"
                -- W. C. Fields

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VPN Setup Q
    ... As the firewall is built in the router, ... will be better to consult the router manufacture to see if it supports VPN ... |> 2004 as the firewall server, I believe the below article in Microsoft ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
  • RE: [fw-wiz] Cisco Pix 515E Configuration
    ... that it was by design because it is a firewall. ... Will this be a fix for VPN traffic only? ... And I don't think the PIX would be considered a router just ... Features are sometimes added that increase risk but provide more ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Conecting to an external VPN
    ... Modem involved too,..hopefully a separate "box" from the router. ... How to configure a PPPoE connection in ISA Server 2006 or in ISA Server 2004 ... outbound VPN connections,...but I was unable to find any. ... There is no firewall client.. ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.vpn)
  • Re: Router for SBS2008
    ... simple router and provides no security features whatsoever. ... deploy an additional firewall appliance between the router and your network, ... you haven't indicated the type of VPN you use. ... VPN tunnels you usually have open. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Network card configuration advice
    ... the Watguard firewall facilities rather than those with the Cisco router, ... but we want to make use of the Cisco router VPN for connecting remotely ... workstations and server behind the watguard firewall. ... then access the internal network via network card 2 which sits behind the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)