Firewall dont work if your computer is already hacked

From: valid (_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 12/03/03

Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:59:17 +0300

> I use ZoneAlarm Free Edition (my financial situation doesn't allow me
> spend so much money at this moment). I've heard that ZA takes up too
much
> system resources. I just want to get rid of ZA, can you guys give me
advice
> which firewall (free edition) would be a best option for me ? I've
found so
> many reviews about whole bunch of firewalls on the internet, and all
of them
> are quite different... 200 people say Sygate is the best option, 100
people
> say that's Kerio, other bunch of people say it's Outpost... I really
dont'
> know what to do at this point. I've also heard, that some of those
software
> firewalls gives their users problems if they use them on WinXP...
>
> My system runs on Windows XP Home Edition SP1, it's AMD Athlon XP
1700+ and
> I'm connected to internet by Rogers HIGH-SPEED CABLE INTERNET (10.0
Mbps),
> 24/7
>
> Thanks in advance for your answers !!!
>
> Regards !

First, if ZA works for you then why change it. If you are having
problems I could see switching, but I would guess that you are not
having problems and are just wondering about things that people post
here.

The free version of Zone Alarm has never caused me a problem because
coming from a home computer user, there is nothing to configure except
applications like your Email client, Browser, MIRC, Pirch and so on.

Second, if you really want to be safe, then get a router - most places
sell them for $50 and they prevent all the inbound traffic from reaching

you. If you have the router + ZA then ZA will not use hardly any
resources as it won't have to defend you against uninvited intruders -
the router will stop them.

With a always-on connection, if you have a router you don't have to
worry about misconfiguring your personal firewall. With a router you
don't have to worry about uninvited hackers/worms, they are stopped at
the router (Keep in mind that none of the routers are firewalls, they
just have some firewall "like" features).

If your on a Windows Platform and disabled the Services that Windows
leaves open, a router will not keep your computer secure from hackers, I
know, have the facts and evidence of this.
Want to fight me, go for it and I will expose every malicious hackers
tricks around, go for it.

Want to learn about Computers, the Internet and Hacking visit:
geocities.com/secure2003flop

Tracker

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Working LAN, but no client Internet -Again
    ... firewall features of router. ... ping any of the other computers) ... The problem is On good internet laptop I see my specific DNS to the Internet ... Besides the known personal firewalls, there are numerous other security products ...
  • RE: Cant enter 2 XP machines into a Workgroup
    ... Firewalls like NIS modify Windows own security files. ... If a comsumer level router like those of Linksys and Netgear ...
  • Re: Advice needed...
    ... > firewalls gives their users problems if they use them on WinXP... ... > I'm connected to internet by Rogers HIGH-SPEED CABLE INTERNET, ... Second, if you really want to be safe, then get a router - most places ... Tiny personal firewall for my laptop, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • RE: Cant enter 2 XP machines into a Workgroup
    ... I had my XP Home machine hard ... Firewalls like NIS modify Windows own security files. ... If a comsumer level router like those of Linksys and Netgear ...
  • Re: Ask EU Technical Section: Networking questions
    ... I have just added a new lapdog to my household and so needed to set up a wireless network, so that it could share the broadband connection with the main PC. ... The router is a Belkin N Wireless Modem Router. ... You need to set the software firewalls on each PC to allow the local network to connect to them. ... If you can't Share the folder, you will need to enable File Sharing for the machine as a whole. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)