Re: Firewall/VPN

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews_at_hansenonline.net)
Date: 12/03/03

Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:20:44 GMT

On 2 Dec 2003 23:17:33 -0800, Arman spoketh

>I have been looking into some Firewall/VPN boxes. Different brands
>such as Sisco, Snapgear, D-Link, CheckPoint, Watch Guard... (I Want
>the ones that are DMZ capable. They actually have an extra Port called
>DMZ)
>It seems like most of them are able to perfome the same job. Like i
>was Compairing one of the D-Link ones with a Sisco and i realized that
>the D-link regurdless of having as much features or even more seems to
>be much less expensive!
>
>Could someone plz tell me Whats the main thing that distinguishes a
>good Firewall/VPN box from a standard one? or its just a brand name
>like BMW and Merc?

Without knowing which products you compared, it's difficult to comment
on anything ...

Cisco makes quality products for a premium price.

DLink makes mediocre products at a reasonable price.

I'd suggest you look at the Watchguard and Sonicwall products. They both
have what you're looking for, the price is reasonable, and they are
reasonably easy to configure.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net