Re: mysterious cable modem activity

From: Skybuck Flying (nospam_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/25/03

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:26:30 +0100

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
news:cmh7svk6rvfklqmd380qo3rkgeldlssd4r@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:44:15 +0100, Skybuck Flying spoketh
>
> >My firewall is down and I dont like it one bit.
> >
> >Lol... great idea for hackers...
> >
> >A distributed denial of service attack on website of firewall companies
> >etc...
> >
> >So their products fail.
> >
> >I would call that a serious problem !
> >

> Did you by any chance hardcode your DNS servers somewhere? There's
> nothing wrong with www.zonelabs.com or lockup.zonelabs.com (at least
> nothing DNS related).

Nope unfortunately I have not.

I have shutdown many services in windows xp.

Normally when my ISP's DNS server would fail I would start up BIND PE so I
could run my own DNS server.

But BIND PE returns an error code... it can not write to a certain memory
address. So BIND PE just crashes...

Probably because some windows xp service is not running.. I dont know which
:D

> Most likely, the DNS servers you are using are not responding, or if you
> are using something that caches DNS lookups (such as the DNS client in
> W2K and WXP), it is possible that it's cache is corrupt...

I am not the only one having DNS problems today :D

Skybuck.

Relevant Pages

  • NetworkManager and DHCP
    ... Interface eth0 is set to get an IP via DHCP, but I dont want it to get ... got the bits i needed (everything except DNS servers) like this.. ... NetworkManager running anyway, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • NetworkManager and DHCP
    ... Interface eth0 is set to get an IP via DHCP, but I dont want it to get ... got the bits i needed (everything except DNS servers) like this.. ... NetworkManager running anyway, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: DNS/Intranet Help
    ... > connecting to the internet without the DNS forwareders? ... Root hints - but I'd use your ISP's DNS servers. ... > websites that are visited listed, but i dont understand ... >> forwarders to your ISP's DNS servers for external resolution. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • DNS Config in DC
    ... This time I dont have any problems, but coming here slooking for an ... I've 2 DC, both of them DNS servers also, with AD zones integrated. ... But I think this causes the "preparing network connections" take too long, and there are some warnings in the log about DNS not resolving (which I think is due to the dns service still not started). ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: AD & Bind Configuration
    ... WSUS and MOM well nothing but errors due to DNS, so I changed my AD to ... secondaries so bind would talk to them, and now I getting GC errors. ... folks are reluctant on adding any AD record types, I was reviewing some docs ... >> 2 of them are DNS servers that get the records from Bind, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)