Re: using boot-from-LAN to boot a Linux firewall

n1pop_at_hotmail.com
Date: 10/22/03

Date: 22 Oct 2003 11:42:52 -0700

?®ik <> wrote in message news:<3rdcpvk3mpp2q3g6ej8n4cisbo1hocidj0@4ax.com>...
> Would it be a good idea, from a security standpoint, to have a PC,
> used solely as a firewall between internet and local net, boot from
> LAN.
> It would have no HD, no CDROM, no floppy and load all its stuff (eg.
> Linux and Netfilter) from another machine on the local net.
>
> Don't know how to do it yet, but that's another matter.
>
> frgr
> Erik

My initial impression is that this is not a good idea. A firewall, in
my opinion, should be as self-contained as possible so that it does
not have to rely on some outside source to operate. I don't believe
it is wise for a firewall to depend on the network it's trying to
protect for the data it needs to function.

I could be wrong, I've never done such a thing so I don't know what
inherent risks are involved.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How did it get through?
    ... "John" wrote in message ... > Configuration is a Netgear FVS318 with firewall protecting a local ... Some computers on the local net have individual software ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How did it get through?
    ... > Configuration is a Netgear FVS318 with firewall protecting a local net. ... > Some computers on the local net have individual software firewalls. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • How did it get through?
    ... Configuration is a Netgear FVS318 with firewall protecting a local ... Some computers on the local net have individual software ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: using boot-from-LAN to boot a Linux firewall
    ... >> used solely as a firewall between internet and local net, ... >> Linux and Netfilter) from another machine on the local net. ... Erik ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: home networking problems
    ... set ICF's params to allow F&P sharing on your local net. ... > For a shared DSL line, I strongly advise a router. ... which acts as a firewall to keep baddies out of your ... Turning it off should fix your problem, ...