Re: firewall problems

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 10/19/03

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:32:28 GMT

"Tom News" <tom.carter1989@ntlworld.com> wrote in
news:Soukb.9663$pz5.5902264@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net:

> hi
> i have a home network the host computer (ICS i think) has norton
> firewall on it, how do bypass it to get into my computer as when it is
> on i cannot get through
>
> Tom C

First of all, one shouldn't be using the vulnerable MS O/S of any flavor
on a machine as the gateway device to the Internet on a network. The MS
O/S is too vulnerable too attack.

NAT routers are very cheap now of days, and one should get behind the
protection of a router and use the router as the gateway device for the
LAN and WAN.

With the router being used for LAN connections, one could leave Norton in
its default state on a machine behind the router, which should make
communications easy for machines on the LAN side of the router.

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Comcast Meltdown
    ... installed and setup a wireless home network system for my son at his ... router, or router side, was at fault here. ... the computer I get a screen asking me if I want to install it, ... There is a good chance that "Norton" screen is actually a Trojan that is ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Comcast Meltdown
    ... installed and setup a wireless home network system for my son at his ... router, or router side, was at fault here. ... the computer I get a screen asking me if I want to install it, ... There is a good chance that "Norton" screen is actually a Trojan that is ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Home Network - catch 22 with ICS
    ... >For over a year I have had a great home network with sharing of the internet ... I cannot get ICS to work. ... >The Client Computer connects to the HOST COMPUTER with the ... Your network has a router, and a router's purpose is to share a cable ...
  • Re: Two LANs with 3 computers, Xbox 360 on 1?
    ... Thanks for the suggestion about Norton and the router idea. ... xbox from the original Media Center computer and pulled all but one hard ... area network and used the network setup wizard to connect up. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Suggestions for low-power gigE firewall?
    ... One thing to keep in mind is that 'gigE firewall' is fairly meaningless ... That said, since you mention 'home network', I presume you don't need ... The ISP provided a router; they also noted that the router was not ... server is now and then back to the patch panel in the comms room to ...
    (freebsd-stable)