Re: Trackers Second Review Response

From: FromTheRafters (!0000_at_nomad.fake)
Date: 10/04/03

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:16:08 -0400

"Omarę" <omar@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3F7DEE5D.558351FC@yahoo.com...
> FromTheRafters wrote:
> >
> > "Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message news:bli2an$k9p$1@thorium.cix.co.uk...
> > >
> > > "FromTheRafters" <!0000@nomad.fake> wrote in message

> > > what
> > > performed

> > > That particular example can be misunderstood because there is no context and
> > > no inflection. This is common with the written word but less common with the
> > > spoken word as other cues are given by word emphasis and gestures for
> > > example.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I know when I'm beaten and I'll shut up now :-)
> >
> > Well, you weren't wrong, but I think you see my point about
> > bad grammar too. It is useless to try to enforce proper usage
> > of rules of grammar in such an informal setting, but I find myself
> > sometimes asking posters to rephrase their questions so that I
> > can understand them. People with English as a second language
> > often do better than native English speaking people in this regard
> > because native English speaking people even understand each
> > other when they say grammatically correct things like "Crack
> > the window and hit the lights before you hit the hay". You may
> > think that you are getting the point across, but maybe you are not.
>
> Ahhh, ahem, slang?????

Yes, another thing to avoid if you want to be understood by
more people in an international group. If you are not multilingual,
and must rely on online translators to have a post translated to
your native tongue, it sure helps if the poster uses proper syntax
and avoids slang terms.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Trackers Second Review Response
    ... >> of rules of grammar in such an informal setting, ... >> often do better than native English speaking people in this regard ... and must rely on online translators to have a post translated to ... and avoids slang terms. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Trackers Second Review Response
    ... >> of rules of grammar in such an informal setting, ... >> often do better than native English speaking people in this regard ... and must rely on online translators to have a post translated to ... and avoids slang terms. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Trackers Second Review Response
    ... >> of rules of grammar in such an informal setting, ... >> often do better than native English speaking people in this regard ... and must rely on online translators to have a post translated to ... and avoids slang terms. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Trackers Second Review Response
    ... This is common with the written word but less common with the ... > of rules of grammar in such an informal setting, ... > often do better than native English speaking people in this regard ... > the window and hit the lights before you hit the hay". ...
    (alt.computer.security)