Re: Trackers Second Review Response

From: Omarę (omar_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/03/03

Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:47:09 -0400

FromTheRafters wrote:

> "Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message news:bli2an$k9p$1@thorium.cix.co.uk...
> >
> > "FromTheRafters" <!0000@nomad.fake> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message

> > what
> > performed
> > >
> > > True, but if someone misunderstands you, it is nice to be able to
> > > show that what was inferred was not what was implied, and have
> > > a basis on which to prove it. If gramattical rules are set aside, the
> > > language can get awfully "wishy-washy".
> > >
> > > "I saw many people driving my car to work from home".
> > >
> > > The above statement can easily be misunderstood in a variety
> > > of ways even though the person saying it may believe, as you
> > > do, that the the point came across. The egocentric "I know
> > > what I meant" is not sufficient to make that statement valid.
> >
> > That particular example can be misunderstood because there is no context and
> > no inflection. This is common with the written word but less common with the
> > spoken word as other cues are given by word emphasis and gestures for
> > example.
> >
> > Anyway, I know when I'm beaten and I'll shut up now :-)
>
> Well, you weren't wrong, but I think you see my point about
> bad grammar too. It is useless to try to enforce proper usage
> of rules of grammar in such an informal setting, but I find myself
> sometimes asking posters to rephrase their questions so that I
> can understand them. People with English as a second language
> often do better than native English speaking people in this regard
> because native English speaking people even understand each
> other when they say grammatically correct things like "Crack
> the window and hit the lights before you hit the hay". You may
> think that you are getting the point across, but maybe you are not.

Ahhh, ahem, slang?????
Omar

--
"When I am right, No one remembers
 When I am wrong, No one forgets"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Trackers Second Review Response
    ... This is common with the written word but less common with the ... > of rules of grammar in such an informal setting, ... > often do better than native English speaking people in this regard ... > the window and hit the lights before you hit the hay". ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Trackers Second Review Response
    ... This is common with the written word but less common with the ... > of rules of grammar in such an informal setting, ... > often do better than native English speaking people in this regard ... > the window and hit the lights before you hit the hay". ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Trackers Second Review Response
    ... This is common with the written word but less common with the ... > of rules of grammar in such an informal setting, ... > often do better than native English speaking people in this regard ... > the window and hit the lights before you hit the hay". ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Trackers Second Review Response
    ... >> The above statement can easily be misunderstood in a variety ... of rules of grammar in such an informal setting, ... often do better than native English speaking people in this regard ... the window and hit the lights before you hit the hay". ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)