Re: check computer

From: ELE OLO (dingtan_at_eleolo.com)
Date: 10/02/03

Date: 2 Oct 2003 07:10:56 -0700

Hi,

A VPN is a virtual private network. It is used to act as a tunnel for
transporting encrypted secure communications between 2 points. It is
typically used by people and companies for secure company
communications without the expensive cost associated with frame relays
and dedicated lines.
Any VPN traffic can pass through routers, switches, hubs, etc......
Most of them just don't do anything extra to the encapsulated traffic.
So I think your router can use vpn, but it just does not define the
actual
vpn traffic....

Dean

"CdLSRN" <ginnyrn5@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<byKeb.2733$oX5.1539165@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> I'm sorry. I don't know what VPN means. Would my Belkin Router use VPN?
> "ELE OLO" <dingtan@eleolo.com> wrote in message
> > HI,
> >
> > The port 88 (TCP/UDP) may be required for performing IPSec
> > authentication (88 is Kerberos, and 500 is Internet Key Exchange,
> > IKE). These are for VPN tunnel
> > applications [ I think ] So I do not think they should be disabled if
> > you are using VPN, but you may not be using anything that requires
> > IPSEC auth. ?
> >
> > you can always turn off the port 88 using your firewall and see if it
> > affects
> > any of your current applications.
> >

> > Dean
> >

> > CdLSRN" <ginnyrn5@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > Thank you. So what does it mean that this port is open. Is that good or bad?
> Should
> > > it be closed? I have a belkin router on a single PC and McAfee firewall as
> > > protection. Thank you.
> > > "ELE OLO" <dingtan@eleolo.com> wrote in message

> sites

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VPN versus Terminal Server for remote workers
    ... If one wants to cross the river and gets into a secure tunnel, ... this does not really help me understand why the hardware will allow ... By default and intention 'split tunneling' of VPN connections is not ... as far as using Term Server, the question really is: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RV042 - Does anyone understand it? Documentation?
    ... if one is using an RV042 for VPN, then what affect does the routing table have on the VPN packets? ... When the packet is received at the other end of the tunnel, it will still be destined for a "foreign" private subnet. ... In other words the range of IP's you are trying to reach and the range of IP's the traffic is coming from MUST be included in the subnets for the encrypted tunnel. ...
    (comp.dcom.vpn)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Secure access to LAN resources (WAS: terminal services)
    ... > encrypted tunnel. ... VPN devices are designed to do strong authentication. ... It's always a trade-off between risk and protection. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: IPSEC routing ?
    ... the Tunnel only see the "outside" of the Tunnel,...nothing sees the inside ... Site-to-Site VPN and Remote Access VPN act totally different..... ... This means the VPN Router behaves just like a regular LAN ...
  • Re: VPN versus Terminal Server for remote workers
    ... call a 'cell phone' we call a 'mobile', ... about Windows VPN client, Windows Mobile VPN client, or a 3rd party VPN ... It is tunnel to the appliance or nothing. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)