Re: hi, am having trouble

From: Alastair Smeaton (smeaton_at_dsl.pipex.com)
Date: 09/07/03

Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:50:16 +0100

On 7 Sep 2003 10:27:07 -0700, devilfreek@hotmail.com (DevilDog) wrote:

>"ClareOldie" <no-one@no-where.ie> wrote in message news:<OiD6b.30709$pK2.50581@news.indigo.ie>...
>> DevilDog wrote:
>> > when i run any port scan, it says that ports 135, 137, 138 and 139 are
>> > open, what's going on? How can I block 'em with my firewall, Sygate
>> > Personal Firewall Pro wile still allowing other hosts to connect to my
>> > machine? I am not usin file sharing and am not on a lan, tried this
>> > with ZA and ZA Pro, same thing. This is after a quick restore of my
>> > hard drive, tia for any help I do get
>>
>> TryTools/Advanced Rules and write your rules for whatever ports you wish to
>> block
>
>Did that, can't surf the web if I block those ports

very strange - I use sygate pro too, have ports 137-139 blocked, and
can surf no problem.

sure you have sygate running as "normal", rather than block all.

more info will help

--
Alastair Smeaton

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to disable Internet Explorer
    ... still being able to surf. ... Using Ipsec filtering would stop http surfing for ... sure if ports 80 and 443 were blocked, but there has got to be a better way. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: HTTP on non standard ports
    ... > Any ideas on the way I can let people surf only on allowed ports with web ... And allow only that protocol plus HTTP for the ... Prev by Date: ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • Re: disable ports under NT/2K
    ... To my mind you should close all the ports you don`t need. ... Where do you want to surf today? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: some weird stuff found
    ... > In the last few days I started noticing strange things. ... FreeBSD machines. ... to see what is bound to those ports. ... I am running xdm but I only allowed connections from ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: PING--> David H Lipman.
    ... > | Hello David. ... > NameServer: DNS01.SAVVIS.NET ... That is strange indeed! ... some of the ports is the same ports that MyNetwatchman is listen to, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)