Re: firewall & security recommendation

From: nobody (nospam_at_rogers.com)
Date: 06/04/03

    Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 16:13:58 GMT

    If I were you, I would get a old PC, and install a Linux firewall on it.
    There are lots of free Linux firewalls you can use. IPTABLES/IPCHAINS built
    in Linux is as secure as most of the hardware firewalls, and has no limit on
    the number of concurrent sessions or users. In most cases, the CPU in PC is
    more powerful that one in a hardware firewalls.

    If your goal is to secure your network mostly, you should go with an
    application gateway firewall
    (http://www.pc-help.org/www.nwinternet.com/pchelp/security/firewalls.htm).
    The application gateway firewall acts as a proxy for applications: a server
    for the client, and a client for the real server. But the client and server
    may never know it.

    > > Thanks for the comments. $1k is a little steep for a small firewall so
    I'll
    > > keep on searching :)
    > >

    > I dont get it you can afford commercial DSL with 5 static IP's but 1k
    > for a good solid firewall solution is too steep? IF your that cheap
    > 500-600 gets you a 60 user pix 501 which supports 60mbps/7500
    > concurrent sessions.

    • RE: OWA page not displayed Outside
      ... Open ISA 2006 management console. ... Expand the server node and highlight 'Monitoring'. ... Click 'Configure Firewall Logging'. ... |> internal client as both the web proxy client and firewall client? ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Small business thinking about backing up data, having a server and 2-3 users - is SBS200
      ... is networked to the Master with a crossover network cable. ... Master on the Master PC and Client on the Slave pc. ... Since this machine is a server is should handle the requests ok ... Most real firewall appliances have HTTP and SMTP proxy services that allow ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: ISA firewall block outgoing email.
      ... I cannot send/receive email to the POP3 account unless I turn off the firewall in the CEICW. ... (This server is behind a router so I felt the test was safe enough to turn off the firewall). ... As I said, there is no need to add a hole for port 110, If the ISA client is installed on the workstation, Outlook will deliver the email. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: VBScript: Remote Desktop Disconnected
      ... I have a client with the same exact scenario. ... Rdp via RWW works fine from ... On the SBS 2003 Server open the Server Management console. ... When navigating to the Firewall page, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: SBS VPN setup?
      ... And I'm reviewing if I need to do client notifications at that point. ... You purchase 2k3 PREMIUM and that comes with ISA to handle the firewall duties. ... SBS plugs into a switch with the other computers and the switch is plugged into a firewall appliance with 2-nics. ... To compare apples to apples, let us assume there is a network setup as I outlined above...and the firewall appliance is an ISA server, such as those available from Celestix. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)