Re: firewall & security recommendation

From: nobody (
Date: 06/04/03

    Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 16:13:58 GMT

    If I were you, I would get a old PC, and install a Linux firewall on it.
    There are lots of free Linux firewalls you can use. IPTABLES/IPCHAINS built
    in Linux is as secure as most of the hardware firewalls, and has no limit on
    the number of concurrent sessions or users. In most cases, the CPU in PC is
    more powerful that one in a hardware firewalls.

    If your goal is to secure your network mostly, you should go with an
    application gateway firewall
    The application gateway firewall acts as a proxy for applications: a server
    for the client, and a client for the real server. But the client and server
    may never know it.