Re: Request for help: troubleshooting pcAnywhere with TZO + Linksys

From: TZO Support (support_at_tzo.com)
Date: 05/28/03

Date: 27 May 2003 16:29:09 -0700

Here is my suggestion:

1) Take out the router, hook up your desired PC Anywhere server
directly to the DSL modem. Check that you can get email and surf the
internet, then make sure that the DSL modem isnt also a "router", or a
NAT firewall. This could also be the case. If it's just a modem,
its doubtful it blocks any ports

2) Go to work and try to connect with the IP address. Does it work?
If not, then the problem is definitely not TZO or the Linksys router.
This is the fastest way to diagnose whats up, Your ISP could also
block ports

You can also try portdetective.com, it sniffs ports remotely, but only
TCP. This can determine if your ISP is blocking ports, which they
could be. Your work may also block outbound traffic on certain ports,
so that could also be an issue, best bet is to have another party test
the connection from another ISP in another geographical location

Hope this helps you some

-Eric
TZO.COM Support
http://www.tzo.com