Re: -=Hardware Firewall Question=-

From: Michael D. Sullivan (zyxNOSPAM_at_camsul.com)
Date: 05/11/03

Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 01:51:33 GMT

On Sat, 10 May 2003 20:49:27 GMT, Lars M. Hansen posted the following to
comp.security.firewalls:

> On Sat, 10 May 2003 11:50:15 -0500, TCLabs spoketh
>
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I picked up a used hardware firewall from a local reseller a day ago,
> >(SonicWall SOHO/10) and he said it does not have any doc's or software
> >with it. I thought, oh no prob, I'll just jump onto the website and
> >download everything I need. Uh, well seems they don't support it
> >anymore! Imagine that!! I was wondering if anyone out there might be
> >able to help with some doc's and or software so I can get this thing
> >implemented on my home network. I have done a few searches on the net,
> >all ending up pointing me back to SonicWall's site, and we now know
> >that is a bust.
> >A quick note to what it looks like:
> >
> >Back of the unit:
> >Left side has 4 rj-45 ports:
> >Left most port is = "To Hub"
> >The other 3 ports = "To Computers".
> >Right side has 1 rj-45 "WAN" port.
> >There is a button on the back for the "rest/test" LED on the front
> >panel, as well as LED's for each connection.
> >Including LED's for the WAN (Link, TX, RX)
> >I have plugged it in and it seems to act fine as a stand alone hub,
> >but have no way to configure it for the firewall on the WAN side using
> >it with my cable modem.
> >
> >Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks
>
> From: http://www.execdsl.com/support/questions/sonicwall_default.shtml
>
> RESETTING SONICWALL TO FACTORY DEFAULTS
>
> First, download the latest firmware from http://firmware.sonicwall.com/.
> Un-plug the network connections, but not the power.
>
> Procedure for SonicWALL SOHO 10, SOHO 50, SonicWALL XPRS, & SonicWALL
> PRO:
>
> Find the small pinhole on the rear panel of the SonicWALL (next to the
> serial port). Push and hold down the recessed switch by inserting a
> paper clip through the pinhole and then turn the SonicWALL on. Hold it
> down until the "Test" LED starts to flash. You can then let go of the
> recessed switch. Let the SonicWALL continue erasing until the test light
> stays solid. The test light will be ON, and this is normal after the
> factory reset procedure; it will not go off until firmware has been
> installed.

Since TCLabs doesn't have the manual, this isn't enough information,
because he or she doesn't know how to access the administration window
and upload the firmware. Once you have hard-reset the box as described
above, attach a PC to one of the ports on the built-in hub with the PC's
IP address set to 192.168.168.200. The box's default LAN IP address is
192.168.168.168. Browse to the administration login screen at
http://192.168.168.168, with java enabled. Log in as "admin" with the
same as password. Now you can set up the box. First, upload the new
firmware via the "tools" menu. After that has worked, you will need to
set the WAN IP address (or DHCP/PPoE info), LAN address range, whether
to use it as a DHCP server, etc., as well as set up rules. If you would
like a PDF copy of the manual, I think I have one somewhere, so email
me.

--
Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD, USA

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cant Connect To My Sonicwall
    ... Make sure that ALL cables are unplugged from the Sonicwall ... The firmware has now been erased. ... When you contact the Sonicwall, your only option will be to upload ... > text screen that tells you the flash is corrupt. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Cant Connect To My Sonicwall
    ... Most SonicWALL units have this button on the ... If you cannot do a firmware wipe according to Robert's great recipe, ... do it even without warranty support, because it's a bad power supply. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Sonicwall VPN: Phase 2 failures Anyone know of a good resource for Sonicwall VPN support?
    ... > establish a VPN into the Sonicwall using the Client software ver 8.x ... There are issues with the licensing with 6.5.x.x firmware and VPN client licenses that you will need to address with sonicwall. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: SonicWALL Firmware Version 6.4.2.0
    ... to earlier firmware releases. ... Do you believe SonicWALL would intentionally avoid ... you are on a path to a hardware upgrade as well. ... >> SonicWALL, unfortunately, now limits firmware ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: blocking foreign internet addresses
    ... I use a Sonicwall TZ-170 for a hardware firewall. ... The sonicwall was around $500 if I remember correctly. ... Most seem to come from the RIPE (with infected computers) network. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)