Re: Extreme Rookie question

From: Joe Canuck (
Date: 03/21/03

From: Joe Canuck <>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:40:22 -0500

harry wong wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but just like to get some input. I've been using
> software firewalls only, currently Sygate Pro (I have a single computer
> connected to the Internet via DSL).
> A SonicWall SOHO has now come my way. Is the software firewall needed
> anymore? I've checked out a number of sites and really haven't found a
> definitive answer (maybe I'm going to the wrong sites though). Do you guys
> feel that the SonicWall appliance will provide adequate security (I'm
> ruuming Tauscan, PestPatrol and CA Vet antivirus).
> Thank you for any input and the time that you've given this question.

Layering rather than relying on just one security device/method is
generally the best way to go with regards to securing anything.

Do you leave your network connection up live even when you are not using
your computer... like say when you are sleeping? There really isn't much
need to do that unless you have a long download running.

Disable your network. In Win2K... Start> Settings> Network & Dial-up
Connections> Right click on Local Area Connection> Select Disable.

Do the same except Select Enable to get it going again.

Why give a hacker hours to work away on your machine while you are
sleeping or otherwise occupied?

I'm really paranoid... I not only do the above but also leave the
firewall running and enable the "stop all traffic" feature as well. ;-)