Forwarding by source IP: Linksys BEFSX41?

From: Jim Seymour (jseymour@spamcop.net)
Date: 03/05/03

From: "Jim Seymour" <jseymour@spamcop.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:30:06 -0800

Last week, I asked here about routers that support forwarding based on the
source IP. I got a few suggestions - including the Zyxel Zywall 10 (which
looks good) and SonicWall (also good, but more expensive).

However, I also just found the Linksys BEFSX41 - which I can get for only
$85. This appeals to me not only because of the cost, but because I've had
good results with the BEFSR11/41 models at a number of sites. Does anyone
have experience with this unit?

My specific need is to forward Windows Remote Desktop connections from four
employees' home PC's to their work PC's. (They all have DSL service with
static IP addresses). The connections normally come in on port 3389, but I
can change that for each user - if need be.

If I read the Linksys user manual correctly, it doesn't specifically forward
based on source IP, but I could set up packet filters for four specific
ports, then forward each to the appropriate PC.

Am I off base here? Or is the extra $120 for the ZyWall worth the price?

--
Jim Seymour