Re: Recommended firewall and anti-virus.

From: sponge (
Date: 01/12/03

From: (sponge)
Date: 11 Jan 2003 21:12:36 -0800

Use Kerio for the firewall. You'll be able to import my Spyware
Blocklist ( directly as a file, plus IMHO
it gives the best protection. Actually, Sygate and others are good too
as long as they are properly configured. I've pre-written the rules
for Kerio though, and will for Sygate someday when time permits.
For AV, use either Moosoft's The Cleaner ( or AVP. I
believe both offer a free trial period. Also download the (free)
SpyBot S&D ( and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware
( If you've bought a computer or downloaded anything
in the last few years, odds are you have some kind of spyware running.

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:36:29 -0500, Bob <bob@nospam.aok> wrote:

>I inquired on an anti-virus ng about the relative merits of security
>suites from Norton and McAffee, but got just a few sarcastic "boo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The repair guy told me Sygate Firewall was spyware
    ... > it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. ... > that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware? ... My default firewall is Sygate 5.5. ... The Kerio log shows Syate "calling home" only when I ...
  • Re: Application based FW but add grant/deny rules per application?
    ... I did try Kerio and, so far, I like it a lot. ... Sygate is pretty equivalent too but offers more tuning ... Sygate has a custom deny rule at the level of individual ports or IP ... > block a port it is blocked for all applications. ...
  • Re: Regarding sygate and Kerio (TPF)
    ... I've had pretty great results with Kerio Free pfw v2.14. ... tests using TaskInfo 2002 Sygate uses over twice the ram, ... >> How many umbrellas does one person need on a rainy day? ... >> One firewall is adequate and this is echoed in every software ...
  • Re: How can I tell what program i dialing?
    ... applications trying to access the Internet, like ZoneAlarm or Sygate ... It is best to run antivirus and spyware ... MS MVP - Windows Shell/User ...
  • Re: Microsoft Help Centre message
    ... Should I allow Kerio to write a rule and deny ... including adware or spyware in their products, ... SpyBot, and a number of other anti-virus vendor's databases. ... eZula, but I recommend keeping it in your toolbox if you are going to ...