Re: Attachment questions

From: John Elsbury (johne@snospam.sovereign.co.nz)
Date: 01/08/03

From: johne@snospam.sovereign.co.nz (John Elsbury)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 02:54:01 GMT

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:27:07 -0000, "Dan Cardno"
<dan@telecomblue.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Perhaps someone here can help, I have two questions if that's ok...
>
>On my network I have a 'Server' which runs Norton Antivirus 2002 and Norton
>Internet Security 2002. On top of this sits a proxy server [602pro] which I
>use to deliver my mail.

>Given the software I'm using, is it possible to block all emails that come
>in with a .SCR file attachment?

Not so far as I can see. You might try something like mailwasher and
see if you can create a rule which looks for attachments named *.scr
and flags the message for deletion. I should point out that what
you probably **really** want is the ability to block executable and
other risky attachment types (quite a long list, including.scr) and
especially attachments with double suffices (e.g.
something.jpg.scr/bat/exe/<etc>) which are almost certainly
virus-generated. This could mean looking at mime types as well as
actual attachment names. I don't know of any home-user level
software which will do that, although industrial strength commercial
content management software does: but you could always (register
then) ask the author of Mailwasher if he could add it as a feature -
he seems very amenable to enhancement requests... in fact, I will
suggest it myself.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hacktool.Rootkit ??
    ... | Norton AntiVirus Corp Edition 7.60.962 ... | This server is connected to the internet behind a Linksys Wireless G ... Phil Weldon ... |> operating characteristics of Norton AntiVirus are best resolved with the ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • OT mailwasher - was Re: Glad to be back
    ... As a matter of course I run Spam Assassin, ... previewing it using MailWasher (no problems at all for ... various mailboxes even at the server level I was stuffed. ... sufficient back-ups to be up and running again in a few days. ...
    (uk.rec.models.rail)
  • Re: Cant insert Object files (excel) nor open a workbook object
    ... Use Windows Explorer or My Computer to search your hard drive for a Norton AntiVirus file named OFFICEAV.DLL. ... delphos1 wrote: ... An error ocurred and this feature is no longer funtioning properly. ... The server application, source file, or item can't be found, or returned an unknown error. ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Mailwasher question
    ... >> and can be set to read emails from the server. ... > & actually MailWasher also has an Option (which you can choose to Set, ... > if you're very confident that you have your spam Detection Rules, ... > No need to even have to Press the [Process Mail] Button! ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: error 0x800ccc19
    ... >> In some cases it is necessary to re-enter the server names, ... >> Tim K.>> aka Kuay Tim ... > This problem may occur when the following conditions are true:> You have Norton AntiVirus 2003 or Norton AntiVirus 2002 installed. ... > To prevent this problem when you use Norton AntiVirus and Outlook or> Outlook Express, turn off e-mail scanning in Norton AntiVirus:> Quit Outlook or Outlook Express. ...