Re: ZoneAlarm Problem on Startup

From: Ogden Johnson III (oj3@cpcug.org)
Date: 01/06/03

From: Ogden Johnson III <oj3@cpcug.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:09:53 -0500

"Budd O" <BuddO@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>This has happened four times in the last two months. For some reason ZA
>stops loading when the system boots and return this error message, "The
>drive or network connection that the shortcut 'ZoneAlarm.Ink' refers to is
>unavailable. Make sure the disk is properly inserted or the network
>resource is available, and then try again". Has anyone had this problem?
>Usually I just do a full system restore from the last good back-up, but this
>is getting old. I am running version 3.1.395. What is causing this
>problem and how do I stop it from happening again?

Do you have the "load on startup" feature checked? If so, something
that is loading just before ZA may be hanging up the system
momentarily, thus causing ZA to give you that error. Use the 'run'
command to execute msconfig to identify the items that are loading
*before* the items in the startup folder. Note the location of ZA in
that sequence. Then conduct a test of this by unchecking the "load on
startup", and replace it by placing a shortcut in your startup folder
to start up ZA later in your boot sequence. If you get no errors in
the next two months, you can then use msconfig to look at the things
that were loading before ZA when you were getting errors to identify
possible culprits that may have been interfering with ZA's load.

OJ III

Relevant Pages

  • QuickTime
    ... I allow it to install, it tries to take over the machine. ... Every time I boot it shows up in the system tray until I manually kill it. ... Is there some way to keep it from loading on every reboot unless I actually ... stuff in MSConfig and in the Startup folder but don't see how it's loading in ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: ZoneAlarm v3.1.395
    ... | Items that start up from the registry will begin loading well before ... | items in the Startup folder on the Start menu. ... would load if set to Load at Startup anyway. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Slow Responding to commands
    ... > See what's loading from the startup folder for that one user: ... > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone ... >> user account when they are logged on, all other user accounts perform ok ...
  • Re: zonealarm waiting forever for truevector service to load
    ... > are going by what is in your Startup Folder in your Start Menu, ... That is a list of everything that is loading. ... ive got sygate firewall and home network running fine now without having ... then ill try see if zonealarm works again ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Media Player 9.0 starts with Windows
    ... my Media Player 9.0 has been loading with ... Windows when I start my computer. ... programs listed in my startup folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)