(no subject)

Date: 09/24/02

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 03:16:05 -0400

>I wouldn't agree it's a victimless crime from the point of view the IE
>"mess" creates uncertainty and other more practical costs. I also think it's
>fairly clear how well IE and other browsers support the standards and how
>much they encourage incompatibility within the medium of the web.

I dunno when it's ever going to sink in with these people. M$ even
took Java and tried to make it proprietary! They were sued and
convicted...again.

M$ hasn't complied with the DOJ's orders to unbundle the applications
it has been ILLEGALLY DUMPING onto the market via Windows. This would
not be a problem if M$ wasn't a monopoly. You know that's the whole
problem with monopolies? When is it going to end?

I wouldn't complain if what M$ produced actually worked right, but IT
DOESN'T! M$ produces piles of shit that the rest of the industry must
deal with.

>>The reign of MS on the desktop has been very good for other software
>>authors in general. It would be a very bad thing for the software
>>industry if Linux ever became popular, IMO.
>
>Unity of platform has been bought at a price. As for Linux I would agree
>that as it stands at present it isn't ready for mass deployment.

It's getting very close. I think you'll see noticeable advancement
this year because Linux development has gotten some major financial
boosts.

>However
>much the zealots scream, unless they sort out internal organisation,
>software installation, user interface, and other issues, it will always be a
>toy.

That's true. Seems like they're working on it though...

http://images.mandrakesoft.com/img/scr/vitamin2.jpg
http://images.mandrakesoft.com/img/scr/mdkwine.jpg

Relevant Pages

  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] lame bitching about xpsp2
    ... The investments MS has made in other ... OTOH I don't remember M$ investing in Linux. ... load up vmware on the laptop and run Linux or BSD in the ... > bad monopolies are. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] lame bitching about xpsp2
    ... The investments MS has made in other ... OTOH I don't remember M$ investing in Linux. ... load up vmware on the laptop and run Linux or BSD in the ... >> bad monopolies are. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: A letter for Mr. Darl McBride
    ... > You are proposing that the U.S. Government take legal ... > First of all your country, and mine too, is held on ... > revolution in the software industry and it represents ... If the whole world is adopting Linux, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: AIX in not the only OS in trouble
    ... Have you ever used AIX? ... and Linux so far hasn't been competitive there. ... publishing industry put up about the Internet about 10 years ago ... publishing industry when *totally* computer/network connected. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Whats Wrong with Linux
    ... LINUX is ONE OS. ... Windows NT, Windows 2000, and ... which have openly available access information such that ANY OS AUTHOR ... systems ever generated by the industry, there is ONLY ONE that I know ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)