Re: Basic External Firewall Testing?

From: x y (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 06/29/02

From: "x y" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 09:23:31 -0400

I guess there are good reasons for either setup, but I would have considered
putting the checkpoint firewall on the inside. The problem I would worry
about with checkpoint v3 is to search google, checkpoint.com, checkpoint
support newsgroups, bugtraq.com and various other firewall and security
vulnerability websites for known vulnerabilities. These won't necessarily
show up as open ports in any port scan, and may require other tests, such as
possibly downloading certain hacker tools that specifically target these
vulnerabilities, to see if you are vulnerable.

Also, as you may already know, securing checkpoint firewall-1 involves being
very careful about disabling a lot of the default options under toolbase,
properties, as these add hidden implicit rules that open ports you may not
know are open. You can unhide the implicit rules, of course, to see all the
rules open at the moment.

In my mind, the advantage to putting firewall-1 inside the ISA server would
be to help protect it against some of the vulnerabilities for which there
may be no patch or workaround. Also, if the area between the two firewalls
is your DMZ, I would feel the DMZ would be more secure with the newer
firewall protecting it. Also, since you're probably permitting inbound web,
SMTP and maybe VPN traffic etc. to go right through the fw-1 to the isa
server with minimal or no inspection, having the fw-1 behind the ISA server
could possibly be helpful in seeing the traffic that gets through the ISA
server. I could be wrong.